Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro 35 stuck shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Yashica Electro 35 stuck shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Cookychan
Tinkerer
Username: Cookychan

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 04:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently purchased a bargain yashica electro 35. The catch of course was that it didn't work. Hence my post here. I decided to dive into pulling it apart and see what the problem was. I've attached a shot of the lens work cocked and fired. I can see that the circle spot isn't releasing like it should.

Has anyone had a similar sort of issue? I've had some serious information overload reading through different forums and websites. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

(ps i have much higher res pics so i could upload them onto flickr if it would help) cockedfired

Greyhoundman
Tinkerer
Username: Greyhoundman

Post Number: 13

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The self timer is set and not releasing. The shutter won't trip with it set. It has probably been forced at one time. Remove it and see how it goes.

Cookychan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pushing gently on the shutter release hammer causes the self timer to count down. When I cock the shutter now it still does what it did before. The self timer doesn't appear to be engaging the shutter release mechanism. There is a 'clunk' but the shutter is still not firing.

I'm not worried if the timer has to be removed competely if that would help but I don't think it is the problem.

larger view here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cookychan/434941071/

Greyhoundman
Tinkerer
Username: Greyhoundman

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Noticed in bigger pic. Blades are in the open position while shutter is cocked?

Cookychan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No the shutter blades don't appear to move at any stage.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 113

Posted on Thursday, March 29, 2007 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like any other shutter also this elctronic device may suffer from sticky or oily shutter blades preventing a proper functioning. Can they be moved with a wooden toothpick ? Is anything -like small screws and the like - caught anywhere in the mechanism? W.

Cookychan
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Monday, April 02, 2007 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks like the shutter blades were sticking. After poking around (gently) for a few minutes they just started to slowly open of their own accord. I'm yet to apply any lighter fluid to fully clean them but I think that will loosen them up completely.

Thank you both for your help in pulling my first camera apart! Now that the shutter blades open I can start to see how the rest of the mechanism is meant to function.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration