Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Dismantling a cardboard box camera Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Dismantling a cardboard box camera « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 45

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just discovered this over on the Box Camera Revolution discussion forum on flickr:

http://members.home.nl/brownie.camera/service_manual_for_six_20_brownie_non_meta l_box_form.htm

I'm sure Pablo, for one, will appreciate it!

Adrian

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 52

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks, very interesting.

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 24

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That brought a wry grin to my face! Especially the section on cleaning the shutter. I found out, by doing it wrong, of course, that there was a reason why the service notes said don't oil the shutter surfaces. I was cleaning up an old box camera (a Box Tengor, but the shutter principle is the same), and put a drop of oil on the shutter blade and plate. Firing it a few times, I could tell it didn't sound right, and looking from the film end, instead of seeing a simple circular blip of light when tripping the shutter, there was a crescent-shaped section which was clearly brighter than the rest of the light coming through the aperture. The shutter plate was bouncing at the end of its journey, and the bounce was enough to bring the shutter blade's opening back in front of the aperture, letting a crescent of extra light in. I quickly flushed the oil out with lighter fuel, then it just got sticky, so I flushed again with a few grains of powdered graphite added. Once the lighter fuel evaporated and I gave it a few more trips, the shutter settled down and worked perfectly.

I've found drawing offices to be a useful source of powdered graphite, and you can get a handy amount in an old plastic 35mm film container which will last forever.

Alex

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration