Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Vivitar 100-300mm lens with unwanted ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Vivitar 100-300mm lens with unwanted dead spider « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paulypj
Tinkerer
Username: Paulypj

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have just been ripped off by someone on ebay.
i just bought a vivitar 100-300mm lens, but there is a small cobweb and a dead spider in the end of the lens.
when its on the camera (OM10 olympus) it isnt visible...but im not sure whether it will affect my photos.
i am new to photography also.

is it possible to open up a lens and remove the afore mentioned items?

any info will help me, thanks.

im in the U.K also

Spazoid1965
Tinkerer
Username: Spazoid1965

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

They can be taken apart. But, you have to have some spcial tools. These tools will cost more than you probally paid for the vivitar lens.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 156

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can have considerable amounts of 'crap' inside a lens and still get acceptable results. Take a few frames under differing light conditions, ie also take a few into the light/sun and not just behind you. Use both the maximum and smallest aperture and both ends of the zoom range. A brick wall approx 4/5 foot high makes a good test 'card', by taking from both sides you can alter the position of the sun with reference to the lens.If the results look OK, just use the lens as it is.

It is relatively simple to make the required tools if you are mechanically minded. However if you have to purchase same, as stated above, they can be a bit expensive. Also zoom lenses are not the best candidate for a 'first attempt' at a stripdown. As you are new to photography, I guess the money would be better spent on film or useful kit.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 49

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am sorry to hear that you got done in by E-bay but i'm not surprised, they are getting worse. When you say in the end of the lense, is it in the front element or the element near the camera body? If there is two notches or slots in the lense where the spider is yu may be aable to fix it. Now if the spider is really separation in the element forget it and do what I would have done, ask for a refund and complain to ebay..I was scammed and will never go back to them...Don

Shep
Tinkerer
Username: Shep

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

amazing where spiders can get. personally i dont recommend opening up lenses, purely because often they don't like going back together, but if you're confident then go for it. Glen said it tho, if it don't show up on the prints, then dont worry about it.
but do you mean the spider is on the front element, as in under the UV filter (if there is one), or at the back where the lense conects to the body?

Mike_cash
Tinkerer
Username: Mike_cash

Post Number: 3

Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 05:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From http://www.certo6.com/services.html

"I got a Rolleiflex f1.4/50mm Planar once that had a loose spiral spring, some odd hardened liquid bubbles, dust, and a unidentified German insect in the lens … more nasty stuff that the average lens you would agree. I took the lens to Dresden (Germany) and used it, just to see how it would perform."

Take a look:
http://www.certo6.com/gallery/planar.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration