Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Manually fire flash Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Manually fire flash « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chooch
Tinkerer
Username: Chooch

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I hope the wise ones can help on this...I want to be able to test fire my stobes to meter with my Luna Pro F. I have been using an old camera body and tripping the shutter. That works. I could also test fire a hot shoe flash and the slaves would fire the strobes. My question is: Is there anything on the Mkt like a Plunger or buttom device that I could hook a sync cord to and my strobe to test fire the strobe?? Ive read that if you cut and strip the wires from the sync at the camera end and touch them together it will fire the strobe. Ive also read up on the mechanical hammers(IE RB67 lenses)that also fire strobes but all I want is a simple device to plug into to test before I plug into my camera.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 144

Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 07:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The simplest way is to get a sync cord, strip the insulation back and solder on a small micro switch. Another solution is to find/buy an extension shutter release switch/lead of the type that has a small jack-plug on the end. If you then solder a similar jack-socket to your sync cord, you can connect the two up. This method is useful if you have strobes with different sync cord plugs on them, you can make up a number of leads and use the same button/switch.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 42

Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 08:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a little surprised that the flash you're using doesn't have a test button. Many do. My collection seems to be heavy in old Vivitars, and they all have a test button, either separately, or incorporated into the ready light. In any case, if all you're trying to do is to ascertain whether the slaves are working, perhaps you could find an old flash that does have a test button, and just hand fire it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration