Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica IIIa curtain tension question Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Leica IIIa curtain tension question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Dannl
Tinkerer
Username: Dannl

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It took me a fair number of tries to get the main curtain and second curtain to sync and come across together and to pass the general Television Test. The most difficult part was getting 1000s through 20-1 and Z to all function under the same tension settings. I was curious as to what number of turns is considered average for the Leica IIIa main curtain roller and the second curtain roller?

Thank you. Dann

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The National Camera IIIf manual says no more than 8 turns on the opening curtain, and no more than 2 turns on the closing curtain. If it takes more than that, something is wrong, probably dirt, binding, or lubrication issues. All the bearings need to be absolutely clean of gunk, and just the slightest bit of high quality light oil.

Typical is supposed to be something like 7 and 1-3/4 turns. 4:1 ratio.

Your goal with the spring tensions is to get the exposure even side to side, and not have 1/1000 cap.

The only way to "trim" the highest shutter speeds on the IIIa or earlier is by where the curtains are mounted on the drums. Just get the low speeds right and even, and the high speeds are just "what they are".

On the IIIc and later, there are adjustable cams on the closing curtain latch for 1/500 and 1/1000 -- a much better design, honestly. But I do love my IIIa for it's charming simplicity.

Dannl
Tinkerer
Username: Dannl

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks John, I mean really thanks. I guess I didn't do too bad then with my 7:1.5 adjustment. I had no clue where to start or end, and dismantled the poor camera 5 times to hold it in front of a television and set an adjustment. I had almost given up, and you saved the day. Thanks again. Dann

Wenuk
Tinkerer
Username: Wenuk

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 08:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John

can you still buy The National Camera lllf Manual - I have been looking for one - but all I can find is a photocopy for sale on US Ebay - I am in the UK?

Cheers

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 05:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not from National Camera. Someone once affiliated with them is selling genuine copies on the web, but they are not of the final edition, they are an earlier edition.

The copies will do fine.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration