Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax s2 service:I need your input! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Contax s2 service:I need your input! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robertofollia
Tinkerer
Username: Robertofollia

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
As my old faithful S2 has to be sent for a service I would really appreciate your input and experiences with the following two services I have found.
Last time it was serviced in Spain and quality was awful.

The camera itself is in tip top condition. The only thing needed is the mirror being adjusted as full-aperture shots come out of focus (and the same lens used in my Aria and another S2 gives razor-sharp shots, even taken the same moment from the same location).
Even before firing the camera, swapping the lens between bodies gives different readings in the "bad" S2 when compared to the "good" S2 or aria (almost 0,5 meter error)

The selected services are
1.- Foto Huppert in Wuppertal (Germany). They seem really competent. I have never talked to them but have bought some item from their shop. They really ship fast and provid a great service.

2.- Alpha Digital Services Limited in Reading (UK). I called them today and told me they are a small business and seem good, honest people that make a good work.

If any of you have used some of these services, I would appreciate sincerely your input about repair quality, turnaround time, hour rates, price, shipment quality, as sending my beloved S2 by mail just makes me shiver.
I have taken thetop cover off a couple of times, to fix the winding lever spring and the winding lever lock spring. Could I adjust the mirror position myself or just trust to some of the repairmen listed above?

Thank you in advance
Regards and cheers to all,
Robert

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 30

Posted on Wednesday, April 11, 2007 - 03:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have not used either of these two services, but on the recommendation of another Contax user, I had my 167MT repaired recently by Protech Photographic (Sussex, UK). The electrics had failed so that, even although the camera shutter worked as it should, I could not tell what shutter speed had been selected. They repaired it quickly and at a reasonable cost. It might be worth giving them a ring.

Robertofollia
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 03:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a lot for your input, Alex. I will try to locate them and give them a call.
Regards

Robert

Robertofollia
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
finally my dear Contax came back from the repairer. I finally sent it to Germany (www.tritec-service.de).
Cost was about 220 euro (not cheap), mirror was adjusted as it was on its way out of adjustment, all transport was dismantled and luricated, and lightmeter was calibrated. So after parting with 220 euros, I had an almost "new" camera back.
Thanks for your valuable input.
Regards,
Robert

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration