Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pony Premo: Victor Shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Pony Premo: Victor Shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought a nice 4x5 Rochester Optical Company Pony Premo No. 4 outfit on eBay, and I'm getting it into working shape. The shutter is working, but the times other than 1/100 are running slow. I've taken off the timing piston to carefully clean the sliding surfaces, and I note that there's a plug of wood inside the lower part. This makes the exhaust hole a lot smaller. Is this original, part of how they calibrated the shutter? Or is it someone trying to make up for the piston getting to be loose-fitting?

Wonderful little camera, so light, so nicely made. I've got 5 4x5 film sheaths so far, need to score a few more.

I expect dandy results, the Rapid Rectilinear lens is a fine design.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

HI John: I have worked on many compound and premo,s and the slow timing is set by the bleed down of air. I have never had to plug anything into the piston bore, clean everything. Does that wood plug look like it can be removed? That's the first thing I would look at other than cleaning. The high speed on most piston shutters uses a spring for that speed, the piston is for the slow speeds...Don

John_shriver
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, the plug in the inner piston was really some sort of rubber compound. Clearly not original. Once I removed it the shutter was ridiculously fast, pretty much 1/100 at any speed.

So I cut an oversized block of closed-cell foam, and stuffed it in. Now the shutter runs fast, but not ridiculously so. The 1 second speed is flaky, but the others are stable, and I've got a chart.

Perhaps someone replaced the inner sleeve with another one that had a much larger hole in the bottom? It can't just be that the fit between the inner and outer sleeve has gotten a bit loose.

I suppose if I lubed the piston it would be a lot slower, but not consistent. I know it's supposed to run dry.

John_shriver
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The hole in the bottom of the sleeve is about 2mm in size. Seems rather large.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration