Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XE Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Minolta XE « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 117

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have just started my Min XE project, but have problems in removing the camera's top cap, especially the collar arond the release button; RH/ LH thread? Does it stay with the cap? Any help is appreciated, W.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 119

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 01:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

... well, the problem of that XE was a meaningless selftimer: it ran all the way down to zero position withut releasing the camera, obviously some previous owner had pushed on the release with too much force. It was possible to readjust the correct release point by (a) peeling off the leatherette plus removal of the plastic lever and washer (b) loosening the two tiny crosshead screws plus turning the ST adjustment slothead screw and (c) retighten the small ones when the ST was properly working; trial and error method helped to find a solution.
BUT the top cap problem is still unsolved, So PLEASE helpif you know how to get it off !! W.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 124

Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 01:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

... still no response, I just cannot believe there is nobody out there who has any knowledge about the XE.
So here is my solution to the problem of obviously being one who does NOT know how to get disfunctional XEs running again:
#1: As always, I will rely on my intuition.
#2: Like in other cases, I have got myself two junkers to practise on.
#3: I have ordered repair manuals for Xxx (E,G, D, ...) SLRs.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 20

Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi W: could it be like the srt101 camera which you grab with a wooden pliers and loosen ccw? Or is it a new design..Don

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 125

Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dgillette4, basically it looks the same, but there is almost no room for any sort of pliers (like on the old SR models), and, what is worse, it did not come off after removal of what is in the way (winding lever, etc.), so at first I thought of a LH thread, but that does not appear to be likely, as there is no such thread in all those Minoltas I have come across by now. But, on the other hand, I do not think one can assume that it stays in place, because on all other SR-T and X models the release gear is removed before taking off the top cap, in other words it is not logical to believe that. But maybe Minolta wanted to puzzle or test the ingenuity of their repairpeople, one never knows!
Thanks for your input on the matter, I will wait for some more info and/or crack down on one of the junkers, learning by doing, you know, that's what I am used to anyway, W.

Chenard
Tinkerer
Username: Chenard

Post Number: 9

Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 01:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the XE the same camera as the XE-7? If it is, then to remove the top right cap:
1) remove the pentaprism cover
2) remove wind lever
3) remove shutter speed dial
4) remove on/off switch
5) there is one screw left on the right end of the camera

The shutter release button itself comes off with the top, IIRC.

Paul

Wernerjb
Tinkerer

Post Number: 126

Posted on Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 01:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your input, Chenard, your help is greatly appreciated.
You are right, the camera was marketed under different names: XE in Japan, XE-1 in Europe, and XE-7 in the US/Canada, W.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration