Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM-2 with slow returning film advance... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » OM-2 with slow returning film advance lever and erratic shutter speed « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Shadowfox
Tinkerer
Username: Shadowfox

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, first post here!

Salute to all of you camera repair experts and enthusiasts.

I have an OM-2 with the following problems:

1. When advancing the film, the advance lever doesn't snap back into its original position as it should, rather, without any coaxing, it's taking it's time to come back very slowly (about 15 seconds to travel back to its place). With coaxing on my part, I can return it to the original position without any resistance.

2. The shutter speed is erratic, I haven't noticed a pattern yet, but in manual mode, setting the shutter to 60 and push the shutter release, sometimes sounds accurate, but some other time opens up the shutter for a couple of seconds. Strangely, in the auto mode, I can't get it to behave erratically, but maybe I just haven't tried it enough number for it to happen.

I know that a lot of things can be fixed via opening the bottom, hopefully problem #1 is one of them, as for #2, I almost resign it to be a camera tech job, except someone here can tell me otherwise.

PS: I have searched for OM2 and OM-2 in this forum and went through all the results, and I can't find anyone with these same problems. Hence this post.

Thanks all!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 231

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For problem #1, the wind lever mechanism is probably dirty. This is reached by removing the top cover. While in there, be sure to clean the silent-ratchet clutch under the frame counter, or it will stick too after a while (and the camera will fail to wind).

Not as sure about #2: there are possible electronic causes, or something could be sticking. In many cameras I'd advise looking at the foam in front of the screen to see if it's just the mirror sticking, but the OM has very little foam up there - maybe not enough to make the mirror stick.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration