Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Sears KS Super II...stuck film advanc... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Sears KS Super II...stuck film advance lever « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thalia
Tinkerer
Username: Thalia

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i bought a KS Super II on ebay a few months ago. it was working fine until a few days ago when i couldnt use the film advance lever. it feels like its stuck when i try to push it. i left it alone for a while and it started working on its own. i tried to use it again but its now stuck, and i think this time forever. i took it to a Ritz camera Store and the man couldnt realy help me fix it. im very distressed about this, so please help!!!

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 232

Posted on Wednesday, April 18, 2007 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried putting a new battery in it? This camera will not work with a dead battery: once you have cocked the shutter it will not release, after which you can't move the film advance lever because it is already cocked. It may "start working on its own" after you leave it a while and the battery recovers a bit of a charge, but this won't last long at all. The behavior you describe sounds exactly like a KS Super II with a dead battery.

Thalia
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when i went to ritz they tried that....but do you think i should try again?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 235

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

when you turn it on and look in the viewfinder, do the light meter displays work? if so, then your battery is good so that's not the problem (this would not be very good news).

if they don't, i would try another new battery just to be sure. if you put in a known good battery and it's still dead, the camera may be toast. the cost of having it repaired is likely to exceed the cost of replacing it.

Thalia
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, the light meter works. when i take out the lens the shutter is stuck open, so the light meter always reads red. i only paid 40 dollars for it and it came with 4 lenses. so it was a good deal. how much do you think it could cost to fix it?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 236

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a guess of course, but it's hard to get a camera looked at for less than $100.

But you still got a good deal: the lenses will fit on any Pentax K-mount camera, which includes Ricoh, Cosina, Chinon and Pentax as well as Sears brands. The best of these are the Pentaxes - a K1000 or a KM is a good investment - but you can probably find another Sears body for much less, and they are excellent cameras too (made by Ricoh).

Thalia
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes. i have a pentax that i use the lenses with, so my purchase isnt a complete waste. but i have grown very fond of that little thing....any ideas where i can get a new one?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 237

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, not new, but look on eBay. A very similar but better-featured model was the Sears KS-2, also known as the Ricoh XR-7: I had one of each, and they were among the best handling and best performing Pentax-mount cameras I ever had.

Thalia
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmmm. ill keep an eye out for them. i still might try to get my camera fixed if its not to expensive. thank you so much for your help.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 238

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

good luck!

here's a link to a directory of repair services:

http://www.acecam.com/srindex.html

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration