Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Welta Perle with Compur shutter and T... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Welta Perle with Compur shutter and Trioplan lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 46

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 05:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After the last buy I crowed about on here, I'm hoping this one will prove to be a bit better... The last one had a knackered spacing mech, and this one has red windows so at least it will be a different problem if it is!

I've just picked up a Welta Perle with an F2.9 Meyer Goerlitz Trioplan lens (if I read it right), in a Compur-Rapid shutter with speeds up to 1/400 and a self-timer. I've not tried the self-timer - IIRC it is a really good way of jamming your camera if it sticks - and the fastest speed, on the big spring, looks to be rather closer to 1/100 than it was ever meant to be.

It's 6 x 4.5, bellows appear OK, and at a cursory inspection it looks as though a good clean and doing the leather with Kiwi will do wonders for its looks. The chrome is a bit flaky, but I'd be flaky if I was that age.

Can anyone tell me any more about this beastie? Google is not very helpful, just feeds me snippets and no real substance.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Adrian: I believe that camera ran production betwee 1934 to 39, It has a halfway decent lens and some came with masks for 6x6,6x9,and 645, The best thing to do would be to cla, carefully double check the bellows with strong light or test film asa400 good luck...Don ps: you're right about the selftimer..

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 47

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 05:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Don.

I've taken the lens out and cleaned it. This may have been a bad move as under years of gunge - really disgusting, and on all three elements, I found a blue coating on the focusing lens! As I had assumed it was a pre-war camera and thus almost certainly uncoated, if it was one of the delicate early coatings on internal parts I may have wrecked it... Ooops...

I also flushed the shutter mechanism with lighter fluid. Given that there are hints that someone else has been in there before me (everything moves easily, and there are witness-marks on the black lens mounts) a quite astonishing amount of debris came out. Everything is faster bar the 1/400, which is now even slower...

I've put a roll of film through it and, if the results deserve it, I will do a proper clean-up job on the shutter mechanism, and lube the fast movement. Hopefully I can do this without disturbing the shutter blades, as I think two are cracked at the end they pivot on. As they still work smoothly, though, I'm leaving them - unless someone has spare blades for a Compur with a lens mount of the right diameter?

So I am waiting for the film...

Adrian

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 68

Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just an update - most of the film wasn't up to a lot. Lots of landscapes taken whilst on holiday, not very inspiring and, as I have no yellow filter, fairly lousy skies. However one pic, of a dead tree between two drystone walls, is crisp and very atmospheric. I think I read somewhere that the lens was designed for portrait work so, as this was a relatively close-up shot, that might explain the difference in quality.

Anyway, well worth hanging on to and doing a proper job.

Adrian

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 62

Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm glad that you've had some success. The shutter may need another cleaning to get all the speeds up. sounds like it has a somewhat soft lens, just right for portrait work, don

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 71

Posted on Monday, August 06, 2007 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the interest, Don! Come September I should have a bit more free time, and the Welta is one of the three jobs I aim to do first. I have no doubt at all it will clean up a bit more yet as I can see gunge on the shutter blades through the lens - amazing it works at all, never mind quite well.

Adrian

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration