Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus pen D major light leaks Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Olympus pen D major light leaks « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Minikomi
Tinkerer
Username: Minikomi

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've recently developed a healthy obsession with olympus pens, and have taken a particular liking using to a cheap Pen D I picked up. The lens is a little marked but seems to be fine, but the main problem I'm having is extreme light leaks. Unfortunate, because the camera is so much fun to use I'd hate to consign it to the shelves.

I replaced the foam seals around the bottom and top corners, but still get these light leaks. Have a look at the photos here:

http://flickr.com/photos/minikomi

There are two seperate kinds of leak it seems - a white and a red. Some photos were saved, but some taken at night even had the pattern, which makes me thing that the light is entering not while taking photos but just while walking around on a sunny day!

There is a distinct curved pattern. I tried scanning the negative as well so you can get a good idea of what the actual leak looks like on film.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 14

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi I noticed fogging on the borders of the neg, this tells me the leak might be in the rear seal as an experiment cover all the rear of the camera with opaque tape and shoot a roll, if the fogging is gone you know where you have to replace the seal, I'm not sure what method they seal it with, some used a blackstring like material. good luck and let me know the results..Don

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 242

Posted on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow, that's quite a leak you've got there! it looks like something more than the usual back seals. do you think there might be something loose around the latch or the rewind button in the baseplate?

Minikomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the top is coming off in the next few days to adjust a loose winding problem, so maybe something will turn up in there :-)

such a fun camera to use though...

Minikomi
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow.. the screw which held the film receiving spool (right terminology?) was cracked through, and obviously letting light in ... 2 birds with one screw! winding and light leak problems fixed it seems. would explain why light was leaking in such a consistent pattern. will shoot a roll, post the photos and enjoy my time with my newly refreshed friend :-)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration