Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon A1 shutter won't fire - HELP Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canon A1 shutter won't fire - HELP « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marco
Tinkerer
Username: Marco

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 10:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to start by thanking all Forum contributors whose questions and answers (and the editorial effort that makes them possible) have enlightened my way into attempting to repair a beautiful Canon A-1 I’ve recently acquired.
The camera arrived with a stuck advance lever and EEEE viewfinder signal even after installing a proper and new battery and cleaning the battery contacts. Activation of the double-exposure lever allowed the advance lever to go its course although with no consequence to film advance, curtain displacement or mirror operation (this remaining in its normal rest position). After this faulty cycle the advance lever would again become stuck.
Following a ‘review of literature’ of the 2005-2007 forum contributions, I braved into the bottom plate area, managed to cut and pry open the plastic cover surrounding the ‘electromagnet area’ (two parallel coils and a pivoting contact - as I can tell) and cleaned their contact surfaces (but didn’t delve between the two magnets).
After performing this operation I can report the following modest but tangible progress: the advance lever now turns freely, the sprocket shaft that drags the film turns as intended and a curtain is seen to travel from left to right (as seen from behind the camera).
The shutter button, however, remains unresponsive (use of a shutter release cable didn’t help). Nevertheless, if with the assistance of a toothpick I manage to manually separate the pivoting contact from the electromagnet, the camera “fires”, thus meaning that the mirror performs its expected upwards/downwards travel. Unfortunately, upon closer inspection two shortcomings become evident: firstly, the curtain(s) never open; second, no shutter speed difference can be audibly perceived, no matter what speed setting I use (I am aware that the shutter never opened but I thought I should as well mention this). Forgot to mention that this test was carried out at both the Av and Tv settings. Also, that the viewfinder information remained undecipherable (EEEEEEEE).
Excuse me for this lengthy explanation.
I am of course quite happy with progress achieved so far but fully aware that much more needs to be done. Thing is I do not know what course of action should I follow henceforth and would be very thankful for any suggestions in this respect. Again, this is a very beautiful camera and deserves better. Thank you very much in advance.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 21

Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you are getting an error display it might be the chip, Good luck ..Don

Marco
Tinkerer
Username: Marco

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you, I'll now search for a chip, and investigate the electric circuitry as well.

Jeans
Tinkerer
Username: Jeans

Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately I don't have the exact answer for your problem, but when ever I have problem with my cameras I always go to a great tech support site I recently found. They have free live chat support that would probably have an answer for you.

Here is the page for the Canon EOS-AE-1 Support:
http://www.fixya.com/support/p294765-canon_eos_ae_1_35mm_slr_camera
the A1 but from my understanding they are similar just click on live support and get the expert advice you need.

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 7

Posted on Saturday, May 05, 2007 - 05:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried with the lens off of the "A" setting? Sounds something like one of my A1s which only works properly with manual selection of the f stop. I'll be sending mine to Steve Swearingen as soon as he returns my T90. I do prefer the A1, though...

Verduzcor
Tinkerer
Username: Verduzcor

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know A-1 since 1983, found that EEEEEE seems quit rising the aperture lever (inside the body) with plenty of care, very gently.
The way described as faulty for the double exposure is actually the form it works ever, only frees the advance lever, allowing cocking the shutter.
Try next: be shure the stoped down metering is in off position before getting a lens to the camera, engage body to lens only with this in A position for the apertures ring.
The shutter may be in an open loop that need finish first specially after a long exposure (30 sec?) push battery test button for this case. Every atempt to make work this great camera have to begin with switch in off position and try ever with canon lenses.
Good day.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration