Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Synchro Compur Leaf Shutter - Need Help! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Synchro Compur Leaf Shutter - Need Help! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Classic35mm
Tinkerer
Username: Classic35mm

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Everyone, I was given a Voigtlander Vitessa T that was previously taken apart and I am trying to figure out how the shutter leafs are supposed to be arranged. Most cameras that I have seen have 5 leafs but this one has six. I cannot figure out where this sixth leaf goes. It is narrower than the rest and does not seem to have a purpose as the other five shutters leafs completely cover the opening. Does anyone have experience with this setup and does anyone have any pictures and instructions of exactly how these blades should be oriented. I appreciate any help.

Synchro Compur - Mystery Shutter Leaf

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 55

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 04:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The short blade goes over the first blade you put, but it has to be added after you put all the large ones. It's like that, don't ask!

Have a look to this camera I've repaired. It's nearly the same.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 18

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe it is a cappping blade to insure no light leakage from any blade movement..Don

Classic35mm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it matter what clock position the smaller blade is in? If anyone has a picture, this would also help me see how the blades are supposed to overlap each other.

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 57

Posted on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 01:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry, I forgot to put the link:

http://www.rusted.free.fr/voigtlandervitobl.html
You have pictures on this link.

I do not think that the position matters.

Classic35mm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your help! Based on everyone’s feedback, I have successfully put the shutters back together. I also attached a picture with some text to help anyone else out with this arrangement.
Shutter Blade Arrangement

Classic35mm
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arnoldharris
Tinkerer
Username: Arnoldharris

Post Number: 7

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Excellent progress. Now you must re-mount the rangefinder shaft before you put the camera back together.

Glancing at the photos of your lens that you posted, it looks as if you have not yet done that. Anyway, here's what this is all about.

If your camera is a Voigtlander Vitessa-T, it's equipped with a Synchro-Compur CN-1110-030 (wide type) shutter, with slight variances between the early and later sub-models of the Vitessa-T.

All the Synchro-Compur 1110-030 shutters have a series of aligned holes drilled in their component parts, through which the rangefinder shaft is axially mounted in the shutter so that it can slide back and forth.

This shaft is about one inch long, and is machined to varying width throughout its length. A thick part near the front keeps it from sliding out of its mounting at one end. At the other end is a tiny coil spring which fits on a threaded part of the shaft; the wider diameter of this little spring keeps the shaft from sliding out toward the front.

The rangefinder shaft is pushed forward from the rear by a spring-loaded part on the shutter mount, which connects the rangefinder system on the camera body to the focus apparatus on the interchangeable lenses.

I know little about how rangefinders or lenses work, so I'm the wrong guy to ask exactly how this shaft functions. But if you dismounted the shutter blades to clean them, you would have had to remove the tightly-wound little coil spring from the back end of this shaft in order to remove the bottom-most of the blades. That's because the shaft runs right through the bushing on which that blade is mounted. With the spring unscrewed, the shaft can be pulled loose from the front and set aside to await re-assembly of the shutter.

And if the fellow who gave you the camera with the shutter in pieces didn't give you that little rangefinder shaft as well, you have a problem.

(Rick, you know a lot more about Synchro-Compur shutters than I do. If my comment on this special feature is incorrect in anyway, feel free to correct me. That's how all of us learn this stuff better.)

Arnold Harris
Mount Horeb WI

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration