Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta SRT 102 lens-meter connection Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Minolta SRT 102 lens-meter connection « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ransom63
Tinkerer
Username: Ransom63

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not familiar with part names, so I'll describe the function as best I can!
There is a "follower pin" that is mounted along with the lens mount to the camera body. This pin mates with the aperture adjusting ring on the lens and moves the "donut ring" needle for the light meter. My problem is that this follower pin is sticking or giving a slow response in following the aperture ring this causing an inaccurate meter reading. Can the lens mount be removed to place some kind of dry lube onto this part, or is the repair for this problem more involved than just a "lube job"?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 246

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's probably not so much a question of lubrication as of cleaning. This ring in the Minolta (and also in Nikons) is external to the lens mount and so is exposed to all sorts of dirt and crud, so it gets sticky.

You can remove the bayonet flange by pulling the 4 screws for better access, but you might not have to: try dripping a few drops of cigarette lighter fluid around the exposed perimeter of the ring that the pin is attached to.

If it's working properly you should be able to push the pin clockwise to its stop (with no lens on the camera) and when you let go it should snap smartly back to the stop at the other end of its travel. If it does this, you should be in business.

If you do have to remove the bayonet, clean the parts with lighter fluid on a cotton swab. Lubrication should not be necessary and is probably not desirable. Be aware that the ring is attached to a spring-loaded cord, try not to lose track of that or you'll have a bigger job getting things back together.

Ransom63
Tinkerer
Username: Ransom63

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the info, Rick. I've asked numbers of repairmen & you're the first to give me a useable answer! I'll put it to use in the morning.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration