Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Storing films in the fridge. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Storing films in the fridge. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Johnlees45
Tinkerer
Username: Johnlees45

Post Number: 32

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have heard that it is a good idea to store newly bought 35 mm slide films (100 or 200 ASA) in the fridge. Can people confirm that this is a good idea or make any other comments about it.
Thanks to you all, John.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 45

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think refrigeration is good, and freezing better. Frozen film will last a very long time. Some people stockpile large amounts of film past their expiration date this way, and the best professional films are stored frozen by their vendors as well. If you expect to use the film within its normal life expectancy, I think refrigeration is fine, and has the advantage that you don't have to wait until the film thaws before loading it. Frozen film will get condensation in your camera unless you thaw it first.

Ben_hutcherson
Tinkerer
Username: Ben_hutcherson

Post Number: 41

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, definitely refrigerate.

I have a couple of trusted sources which sell expired refrigerated film, most of which is great. Not too long ago, I bought a 20 roll box 120 Provia 100F with an expiration of 8/2005. I've shot a couple of rolls of it, and it's fine so far.

I've used black and white films 10-15 years old that have been refrigerated or frozen with good luck. They do tend to get a little bit more grainy and the base fog gets heavier(less contrast), but they overall generally turn out pretty good. I wouldn't use them for anything important, but for camera testing and so forth, they're great.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 25

Posted on Friday, April 27, 2007 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

At the ad agency we always refrigerated the film, but back then the film wasn't as stable as now..Don

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 58

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 01:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I freeze my 120 end 127 film at -23 C° and they last forever. Be carefull to bring the film to room temperature before loading.

Exposed film should also be frozen if not developed inmediately.

Johnlees45
Tinkerer
Username: Johnlees45

Post Number: 33

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 03:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all those replies. Very interesting !
Will continue to do this, but asked the question here just to make sure all you experts agreed.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration