Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus XA advance wheel problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Olympus XA advance wheel problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Siamthai
Tinkerer
Username: Siamthai

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought an Olympus XA on eBay. I tried to load it with film but when I was going to tighten the film the advance wheel would not move. I can only move it about one millimeter back and forward. Of course nothing happens when I press the shutter release since I cant advance the film. Battery is ok. Does anyone know if this is a common problem with Olympus XA and if it is someting that I can repair by myself? I have no experience with this kind of camera so could it be that I have done something wrong. I am gratefull for any help.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 46

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

XA's sometimes have problems with the shutter button not firing. If that happens, of course, then you can't wind the film. I suspect that what you have here is a failure to fire. Sometimes this can be fixed by cleaning the contacts on the shutter button. I don't think it's too terribly hard to get one of these open.

I bought an XA at a yard sale some time ago that had a similar, and unfortunately fatal, problem. It would not fire at all unless the back was open. An XA should fire and allow advancing the film when the back is open, and if it does this then the shutter button is all right. If it does not, then suspect the button.

Siamthai
Tinkerer
Username: Siamthai

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then it seems like it's the shutter button because it wont fire when the back is open. I'll try by cleaning the contacts and hope for the best.

Thanx for you advice!

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 47

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 07:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I should add, in case you hadn't noticed, that if you follow the "Repair Manuals" link on this site, you'll find the complete repair manual for the XA available.

I assume that when you say "battery is OK" you mean that the battery check says it's ok, and not just that you used new batteries. Otherwise, you should also make sure that the batteries are good and in right, contacts good, etc.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration