Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

What should my next camera be? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » What should my next camera be? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Joshuasbones
Tinkerer
Username: Joshuasbones

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got an itch to add another camera to my collection, something (functional) that will complement my Yashica Electro GSN. I'm considering a Pentax K1000 or a Yashica TL Super, mainly because they seem to be a lot more flexible lens-wise. Would anyone like to add their 2 cents, or suggest something else?

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 134

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 05:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No response? Maybe you should have enquired first about which question to ask? The one you actually put up is not easy to answer, as nobody knows your needs or preferences!

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 28

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you have a Yashica itch, I would recommend looking into the Yashica FR line. They are inexpensive, easy to repair (well, the frame counter is the only problem), and the build quality will amaze you.

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 50

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm kind of biased, but how about a Nikon F? Still out there, still functional, lots of lenses to be had.

Turnergande
Tinkerer
Username: Turnergande

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'Flexible lens-wise'. I suppose you mean readily available M42 mount or Pentax PK lenses are an ideal / primary consideration (?). So many OEM & 3rd party lenses are readily available at reasonable cost. PK mount can also use the M42 adapter for stop down metering. No Yashica M42 camera had open aperture metering so a non Yashica with PK mount will basically work in the same manner (amongst several other but not all brand lens mounts). Pentax KM is more versatile than 'Plain Jane' K1000. I also like the Yashica TL Electro X with vertical metal shutter. Newer Yashica FX-2 also accepts the M42 adapter; it's a nice basic 'no frills' full size camera body. Yashica optics can be excellent / affordable yet very underated. So many good SLRs are available now at low cost; just try to get a working one. I prefer less electronics but maybe you like the extra features they offer (?).

Spotomatic
Tinkerer
Username: Spotomatic

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The K1000 is a great camera. So is the Pentax ME Super. I'm most fond of my old screw mount Spotmatic

Puderse
Tinkerer
Username: Puderse

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There were a bazillion lenses made with pentax screw nounts. $100 goes a long way. On the other hand I recently bought a F3 HP with motor for $100 that works perfectly.

Rick11949
Tinkerer
Username: Rick11949

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 02:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I'd recommend a Pentax Spotmatic II if you want to stick with M42. I just bought a Yashica TL-Super with f1.4 and found the optics soft compared to a Takumar & Nikkor. My all time favorite MF bodies are the Nikon F3 (non-HP)and Minolta XD11. If you want to be daring, have you ever handled a Bronica ECTL with Nikkor lenses?
regards,
Rick

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 25

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2007 - 06:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it depends on what you're interested in. If you're looking for a list of a few good Yashicas:

Yashica 124G
Yashica D
Yashica TL-Super
Yashica TL-X
Yashica FX2 and FX3
Yashica Lynx 14e

Since you are also considering Pentax, the K-1000 was my first "real" camera, I still have mine and have been very happy with it for nearly 30 years (bought it new in 78). The Spotmatic II, suggested by another poster, is also good (basically a K-1000 with a couple more features and a screw mount).

Do you have any interest in folding rangefinders? If so, the following are good choices: Agfa Isolette III, Ansco Speedex Special R, Ambi Silette, any one of the Retina II or III series, Agfa Karat 36 or IV, Voigtlander Vito II and Bessa III, any of the Zeiss Super Ikontas, the Moskva 2 and Moskva 5, or any of several by Balda, Franka and Welta.

F16sunshyn
Tinkerer
Username: F16sunshyn

Post Number: 14

Posted on Friday, August 17, 2007 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I second Mikel. The Yashi FR line is tip top (FR2 is kindof boring AE only). My first "new" 35mm in '83 was an FR. After 10's of thousands of shutter cycles it is still perfect. TLR's are heaps of fun also. Recently I gave a young nephew one of my Yashi 124G's, timeless they are. Great shooter and easy repairs seldom needed. Bonus being you can easily sell if you don't get along well with it. Good luck. BTW there is no vaccine once you catch this disease so go with it and enjoy!

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer
Username: Olly_ympus

Post Number: 17

Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2007 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got to be Olympus OM system ofcourse! :-)
Tons of stuff out there. A very reliable camera and a versatile system.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 31

Posted on Monday, August 27, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WARNING!!!!

As another poster said, this sort of thing is addictive. My own collection has gotten way out of hand.

Filmguy
Tinkerer
Username: Filmguy

Post Number: 13

Posted on Sunday, September 09, 2007 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can buy a Nikon FG in good working condx for around $50. It will accept nearly all Nikon lenses made since the introduction of the "AI" type in the '70s. Even most AF lenses will fit and meter (except the new, plastic "G" lenses which have no aperture ring.) I frequently venture out with a FG and 20mm f/3.5 ultrawide. With less than $150 in the combination, I can't imagine a more efficient use of my photography budget. :-)

Barnum
Tinkerer
Username: Barnum

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yours is an impossible question! Photography is such a personal thing, the only choice of camera for anyone is....., the one that suits you!

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 89

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And it is quite obvious from your posts overnight, Barnum, that your personal taste in cameras is very much for the exotic!

As a fan of the oh-so-British-make-do-and-mend shutter mechanism of the Purma cameras, I'd love to see you do a little write-up and post some pics up in the Collector's Lounge!

Adrian

(dunno what my next one should be - I wouldn't mind a pre-war Ensign Ful-Vue or a red-badge Purma Plus, though)

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Adrian!
Nice to meet you, if it is only by way of these infernal machines!!! I have a gliche regarding computors, and am only expert at shouting at them.
I have acquired (finally) a digital camera, but I need No.2 son to instruct me before I can download pictures. A busy-busy lad running his own business, so it may be a while!
Question, and please do not take umbrage. Why would you want a ful-vue? I may have one in the attic, if so, yours for postage. I would though advise that you wait for a blue-Vue, since they have some value.
If you want a Purma, I should have a spare Special
& Plus, if we can sort a deal acceptable to both.
Advice - wait for a Purma Speed to come along, so much nicer. You might have to wait a while however.
Regards,
Barnum

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 90

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 08:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Barnum!

I have a bit of a maggot for the odd and the elderly machinery-wise, and have had a great deal of fun over the last few years actually using box cameras, rather than just keeping them on a shelf. Sadly I don't have access to d&p facilities any more, so that's slowed down a bit - a tenner-odd to develop eight shots from an untested Box Brownie is a bit steep to do every day!

I've got a couple of the post-war Ful-Vues (the bulbous model), but a pre-war square one just seems a nice way of adding something a bit unusual to my box camera collection. As for the Purmas, I love the bizarre shutter mechanism and like the red-badged Plus the best aesthetically. I've already got a Special, but I'd certainly be interested in a Plus if you have one going spare (spare is what my girlfriend may go, of course!).

How on earth did you come by a Speed? I get the impression they are like hen's teeth!

Adrian

P.S. Thought you'd like this... http://www.historyworld.co.uk/advert.php?id=293&offset=0&sort=0&l1=Photography&l 2=

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Friday, October 12, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!
I sold my soul to the Devil. Don't believe me? OK, I'll tell you the truth. At the bottom of a grotty bag at a boot sale.
I'll have a look in the attic for a Plus. Fairly sure I still have a spare after a monster clear out 18months ago. Do you have a crane, they weigh a ton, (imperial - not metric!).
Tried the site you sent, but it cannot be displayed at the moment.
If you are into box cameras, do you have any knowledge of a CADDY? A bit bigger than the first Agfa Memo, but similar shape. Wire finder, and clip on/off glass finder.
Regards,
Barnum

Adrian
Tinkerer

Post Number: 93

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Blimey - you must go to a better class of car boot than me! Other than when someone is actually selling cameras from a stall, I don't think I've ever found anything more exciting than an All-Distance Ensign (and at the price he was asking you'd think it was a Leica!).

If you do have one going spare, drop me a message and I'll pass on my address to you.

Thanks,

Adrian

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Adrian!
Prices can be daft, with people not realising they hold a mass produced model of yesteryear that has survived in big numbers. (Thinks). "It has bellows!! Must be a round the world trip!!!" 'Antiqueee' programmes much to blame I feel. Few years ago, one type proclaiming a black Ful-Vue to be worth at least £30-40.
Have begun attic search, but you really ought to see my attic... Tacking the south face at the moment.
Regards,
Barnum

Barnum
Tinkerer

Post Number: 15

Posted on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Adrian,
Sorry for delay, some pratt clanged my beloved MGB when she was parked up. Been busy panel beating n/s wing & door. Now spraying. I will be back soon, promise!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration