Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Voigtländer Vitomatic IIa rangefinder... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Voigtländer Vitomatic IIa rangefinder infinity adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 24

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

With the top plate off, I have been peeking into the rangefinder of my Vitomatic IIa for three days and cannot see any infinity adjustment screws. While moving the beam splitter assembly I managed to dislodge the spring which returns the rangefinder arm to its starting position - not much fun hooking it back.

After about an hour - success - the spring is back! Now - how do I adjust the infinity?

Any ideas or pictures that would lead me in the right directions as to how to get the images to coincide?

Many thanks,

Jan

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 48

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll try to append a picture here, though it's not a very good one, of a Vito with top off. I posted this some time ago to illustrate a different problem of the viewfinder assembly coming unglued. If you look at it, you'll see a black colored arm, with a couple of triangular slots in it. This arm is a sandwich of pieces, held together by screws. If you loosen the screws, and use a screwdriver in the triangular slots, you'll find that this adjusts the rangefinder. I do not remember which of the two slots sets infinity and which sets near focus. You may have to experiment and alternate between them to get it right.JPG file

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 28

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Matthew,

Thanks for the picture and the information. Unfortunately, the Vito and the Vitomatic IIa are quite different under the top, mainly due to the cross-coupled meter read-out in the finder. This whole assembly sits above what appears to be the RF adjustment. I fiddled with this before my cry for help, with no success. I only see one triangular adjustment slot, the other one must be hidden under the lightmeter follow-up needle mechanism.

I don’t know if I have enough courage to remove what has to be removed…… Everything seems to be built in a typical over-engineered Voigtlander fashion; removing one part may cause five other parts to jump out of alignment, never to be re-aligned again.

Here is the picture from under the Vitomatic IIa’s top cover, with the lightmeter assembly removed. You will see the myriad of spring and levers just waiting to jump out...

All the best,

Jan

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 49

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see what you mean. Wish I could help. I have a Vitomatic II (no "a" after it), but as I recall, it looked more like the Vito CLR, having no meter display in the finder.

Anyway, good luck.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration