Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Minister D - Shutter Speed Pr... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Yashica Minister D - Shutter Speed Problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Timgillen
Tinkerer
Username: Timgillen

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 06:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have acquired a Yashica Minister D and the shutter speed is stuck on B. When I try to change the shutter speed, nothing happens. The aperture was stuck intially, but that has freed up, only for the shutter to remain on the B setting. I think it could be something to do with the lens assembly. Any ideas?

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 26

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When you say that the shutter is stuck on 'B', what do you actually mean:

1) Shutter speed dial is stuck on the 'B' setting and will not move from there.

2) Shutter fires as 'B', no matter where the speed dial is set to.

3) Shutter is stuck open no matter what you do.

Best,

Jan

Timgillen
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 03:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for taking the time to reply Jan.

The shutter fires as B, no matter where the speed dial is set. There is no battery in the camera so should only fire at 1/500, but doesn't.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 262

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if the "B" lever is stuck in a position that makes the shutter default to that speed. Is the shutter electronic in the Minister D? I had thought it was mechanical, but I'm not really familiar with that model.

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 27

Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tim,

The Minister D is a mechanical camera and does not need a battery to operate the shutter. Only the lightmeter need battery power.

This Yashica has a rather complicated cross-coupled shutter speed dial and aperture system. By changing the shutter speed, the camera will also change the f-stop while keeping the same exposure value.

These cross-coupled dials tend to be problematic, particularly if tampered with. I will attempt to upload a picture of the 'D'; the first dial is the EV dial, the second one the shutter speed and the third one the aperture. Bu turning the EV dial, the shutter speed and f-stop dials will turn as well, keeping the same exposure value. In order to change the shutter speed, you have to turn the shutter speed dial.

Try that - if no amount of turning helps, you might need to clean the shutter and the dial systems.

All the best,

Jan

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 131

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 02:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Except for the lens and some minor cosmetic differences, the Y min D and the Y min 700 are identical. What Jan states about the operating cam discs is right. These can be taken off as a complete module after screwing off the black nameplate, front lens group and the filter ring. Be warned, do NOT disassemble that module, it will take you ages to get it back together again correctly. It can be cleaned as a whole. With this module off the camera the shutter is accessible, (serrated ring, camplate, the usual procedure), W.

Timgillen
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll attempt the cleaning route.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration