Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina IIa Focus Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Retina IIa Focus « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tom_b
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_b

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sent my Retina IIa off for a CLA, thinking I would make it a point to use it more. Messing with it when it came back, I noticed that pictures taken at f8 ,f11 or f16 are pretty good. At the other end (under identical conditions, same roll of film), anything at f4, f2.8 or f2 is completely out of focus. Not just a different depth of field - out of focus all the way to the horizon! And, obviously, in order to take the picture at a huge opening, the speed was at the high end (1/500), so it was not camera shake.

Before I wag my electronic finger at the guy who "tuned up" my camera, I'd like to get an idea why this would happen.

Thanks

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 64

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you using the scale or the rangefinder?

Tom_b
Tinkerer
Username: Tom_b

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The rangefinder. That was adjusted as part of the "tune up" - could it be so far off that I have NO depth of field at the larger apertures ?

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 31

Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom,

is the RF aligned correctly at infinity? It sound to me more like the lens assembly is not sitting where it should be or, was not put together properly after disassembly. Obviously, what is happening is that the depth of field is taking care of the misalignment when the lens is closed down.

If you have a small piece of ground glass that would fit on the film rails, you can check your infinity focus with the camera on tripod, shutter on 'B' and full f-stop. If you do not have ground glass, try wax paper with the matt side to the lens. You should focus on the ground glass and than check the rangefinder image for any discrepancy at different distances, starting at infinity and going down. Use tape measure at distances closer than 15' (5 meters) to determine what is out of whack - lens assembly or the RF.

It is quite a straightforward process of elimination to find out where the problem lies - either improper lens to film distance, or inaccurate rangefinder.

Good luck,

Jan

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 65

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 06:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you Google "Chris's camera pages" Chris Sherlock has a page on how to adjust a Retina IIa rangefinder if you need to do it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration