Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Trip 35mm - Red Flag. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Olympus Trip 35mm - Red Flag. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sonlight
Tinkerer
Username: Sonlight

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 03:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bought an old Olympus Trip off Ebay. Everything seems fine except that the red warning flag does not appear when under exposed. Anybody got any ideas how to fix it ?

Jan
Tinkerer
Username: Jan

Post Number: 32

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When there is not enough light, not only the flag will pop up, but the shutter release will also be blocked. Is it being blocked?

This is a common problem on the Trip. Usually can be fixed by cleaning the auto exposure mechanism located behind the front plate. Remove the top cover, peel back the leatherette around the lens, expose 4 screws and the whole lens/shutter/meter assembly will come out as a unit.

The other possibility is that the selenium meter is dead. When working, the Trip should fire at two speeds - 1/30s and 1/250s, depending on the amount of ambient light. The aperture will also be adjusted automatically, depending on lighting conditions. With the back open, fire the camera against varying light levels and observe if there are changes in exposure times and aperture.

All the best,

Jan

Sonlight
Tinkerer
Username: Sonlight

Post Number: 9

Posted on Friday, May 04, 2007 - 01:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Jan for your reply. The shutter release is not being blocked. I have checked the exposure times and they seem to be OK - one is slower than the other. I am going to try to clean the auto exposure mechanism as you have suggested and see if that does the trick.
Many thanks for your advice,
Sonlight.

Francis_otto
Tinkerer
Username: Francis_otto

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it helps at all, I have sometimes found, on removing the top-plate of an Olympus Trip 35, that the little toothed plates that operate the red-flag/aperture-mechanism,bind against one another, or fail to swivel on their pivots. A little judicious bending -engineers call it 'setting' I believe - in the one case and/or a rub of pencil (=graphite) in the one case; a drop of watch-oil on the pivots in the other, usually does the trick.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration