Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Strange shutter in Retina iiic Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Strange shutter in Retina iiic « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kkl122002
Tinkerer
Username: Kkl122002

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 01:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I brought a Retina iiic from eBay few weeks ago. The shutter was in great condition at that time and I could use it for taking snapshots. The blades also have some oil-marks on it, wI have ignored it, but the problems comes.

The shutter "click"s and the blades don't move as normal. I have tried many times and it still keep on this state. I also notice that when I wind the shutter, during the shutter return part, I heard some "zeeee" sound from the shutter ( in low speed section ).

I also have opened the top plate of the camera. I can see that cocking mechanism seems working in order.

Can anyone please tell me how to fix this problem?

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 30

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First thing don't work the shutter in this state, the oil on the blades can and most certainly keep them stuck together. You have to remove the lense glass to clean the blades and spotlessly, To disassemble it you had better check with the manual pages and maybe someone has a site dedicated to the retinas. Also dthe sound you hear is the slow speed clock mechanism which is normal, you'll hear a buzz. Don

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 31

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

First thing don't work the shutter in this state, the oil on the blades can and most certainly keep them stuck together. You have to remove the lense glass to clean the blades and spotlessly, To disassemble it you had better check with the manual pages and maybe someone has a site dedicated to the retinas. Also the sound you hear is the slow speed clock mechanism which is normal, you'll hear a buzz. Don

Kkl122002
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you tell me how, and what to use to clean the blades?

Dgillette4
Tinkerer

Post Number: 32

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Once you get into the blades you can use trichlor or whatever is the new replacement, Ether works but is flamable, you can also use several treatment of 99% alcohol but it has to dry completely. did you get the glass out yet? very important not to get them wet, coatings are soft and easy to ruin, Also did you get the shutter open so as to slosh clean it and then lubricate the pivot points with watch oil very sparingly? good luck...Don

Kkl122002
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have lighter fluid. Can it be used to clean the blades?

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 21

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 04:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, lighter fluid is a good choice, used by nearly everybody here; but make sure it has completely evaporated before reassembly.

Kkl122002
Tinkerer

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arh, the front blades are cleaned now. But how to clean the back side of the blades?

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 36

Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 03:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take off the front and rear lens cells. The rear unscrews, the front has a small silver tab that you push in as you turn it out of the bayonete mount.

Glad to hear the shutter is firing now.

Kkl122002
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found some strange secret using this camera during testing:
The shutter itself will have a very small "click" sound to tell you that the shutter is tensioned/cocked throughly.
I found this secret when I wind the shutter in a very low speed and put it close to my ear. ( Of course, the blades sometimes don't oped due to the shutter don't "click")

Kkl122002
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And, I wondered where are these oil come from? The Synchro-Compur does not need oil to operate?

Kkl122002
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

May be I'm too early to be happy with this...
THe shutter goes back to the problem again!!!

When I put my ear close to the shutter during cocking, I heard that the shutter seems it release its tension during the winder goes back. THe shutter become "click".

Can anyone tell me why this happen?

(IT is an need to solve problem. Please help me!!!)

Paul_ron
Tinkerer
Username: Paul_ron

Post Number: 37

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 02:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That little bit of lighter fluid just loosened the old grease, it didn't get rid of it. Once the lighter fluid evaporates, it just cakes up again. At least you know the shutter is a good working one. Sooooooo......

To do it right you must take the shutter off the camera and completely clean it and relube it using newer technology lubes in the correct places.

Some people flush the entire shutter, off camera of course, with lighter fluid and that does work pretty well in ridding the old stuff. Once that is done, you can proceed to lube it or if it's a lightly used one, it may not need any lube at all. See old shutters sometimes need som help and require light oil to keep it loose, especailly on old worn rub joints.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 48

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 04:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The classic place for oil to emerge from in a camera mechanism is the focusing helicoid in the lens assembly. Over the years, the grease in this breaks down and the thinner oil produced will tend to spread to parts it wasn't intended to go into. You notice it most in a shutter because it stops it working.

There may be quite a bit of grease in there, and what the lighter fluid dissolves will be left behind as a film when it evaporates - so you may actually spread oil further by using lighter fluid if you are not careful to mop up as much as possible, and you will probably need quite a lot of fluid. Hence Paul's comment about flushing and relubing because, of course, the old lube has separated so is no longer doing the job it was designed to.

Adrian

Kkl122002
Tinkerer

Post Number: 9

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 05:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for your advice. But I have send it to the local repair shop to fix it. It is due to I afraid once I opened the shutter, I don't know how to put it back. Also, I read the old post and found that I might need to reset the shutter if I do this by myself. SO, I left it for someone who has experience on it.

I also think that the cocking mechanism need to be tunned, it seems that the shutter is not "fully" cocked and result it this problem. I don't know how to describe but if you have a same camera as I have, Try to wind in extremely slow speed, put your ear close to the shutter and hear that sound. Other than the sound produced by winding film , a really small, even not noticeable "click" sound should be produced in a normal shutter of a normal Retina IIIc.
If that shutter does not "click" during winding till the end of return of the winder, the blades will not open and it "click"s.

Yes...it is really a good shutter, with very good mechanical sound, like new. I hope I can get the camera soon.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration