Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Mamiya/Sekor 1000DTL pressure plate l... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Mamiya/Sekor 1000DTL pressure plate loose? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Bcostin
Tinkerer
Username: Bcostin

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first test roll through a 1000DTL I picked up shows some unusual scratches on the base side of the film. While checking for rough spots I noticed that the pressure plate seems to slide back-and-forth on the springy mounts quite a bit. More easily than I'd expect. I don't know if there'd be enough friction make it shift when the camera is loaded or not, but I can't think of any good reason for it to move at all.

I don't have another M/S body for comparison. Is this normal, or something suspicious I should try to fix?

Turnergande
Tinkerer
Username: Turnergande

Post Number: 13

Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I checked my (seldom used) Mamiya/Sekor 500 TL & 1000 DTL pressure plates. The TL is rather loose vertically & horizontally whereas the DTL is quite snug. Out of curiousity I checked several other 35mm SLR brands & models and maybe half tend to be a bit loose lengthwise but rather tight up & down. The other cameras had snug pressure plates. I'm not sure how that relates to friction, scratches or possibly static on a processed print. I can say that I have not encountered your results (scratches) while using many different cameras over the last 40 years but maybe I've just been lucky.

Herron
Tinkerer
Username: Herron

Post Number: 1

Posted on Friday, October 19, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There should be some movement in the pressure plate, but it should be a minimal amount. If there are no burs or obvious rough spots, are you sure it was from the camera, and not something that happened in developing? If you're using some of the (rapidly vanishing) walk-up developers in stores, my experience with them is less than good. The operators are usually ill-trained, and the equipment not kept up and cleaned like in the "old days."

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration