Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax 137ma ASA will not move... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Contax 137ma ASA will not move... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Acolla
Tinkerer
Username: Acolla

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there. I just bought a nice Contax 137MA camera along witha very nice Planar 1.7. Problem is the ASA dial will not move past ASA 400. What could that be? Any ideas, suggestions, please? And yes, I lift the outer ring before turning it, but it will not move beyond the mark just before 400 ASA, no matter how hard I try. According to this cameras specs, it supports speeds from 12 to 3200 ASA.
I bought this camera to shoot 800 ASA film, so I am stuck...

Thanks a lot!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 31

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would first set the ASA at whatever value you want and compare the metering of the camera with a known good light meter or other camera. If it agrees, then the parts under your rewind knob have probably not been scrambled by someone else. In that case, you can set the camera at ASA 400 and simply use the exposure compensation part of the same dial get an effectual ASA 800 setting. If not, check back as you will be doing some exploratory surgery to diagnose and (hopefully) correct the problem.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration