Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Dings? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Dings? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Spazoid1965
Tinkerer
Username: Spazoid1965

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have some advise on restoring lenses with a ding on the filter ring? Do the lens vice work? I've seen these being sold on eBay. I've also seen the Wooden blocks with a radius cut in them, do they help? I thought I'd get some advice before trying it on one of my lenses.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 146

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 02:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do not expect the first attempt to result in a masterpiece, because it is practice that makes the difference. Both methods work. I prefer the more individual (and cheaper) wooden block method. I usually use pieces of wood of different length, their tips ground into shape, plus the stems of old toothbrushes (different sorts of plastic, some brands come with several layers of harder and softer material melted together) and a light hammer to undent the filter rings. Over time you will develop individual practical skills and even almost hopeless cases will appear doable.

Arnoldharris
Tinkerer
Username: Arnoldharris

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There's a common ding removal tool available for camera lens filter rings. It costs only about $15-$20, depending on where you buy it.

This tool has a long screw which spreads apart a pair of quarter-circle metal forming pieces with threading-type grooves cut so that pushing the two pieces outward will take out the ding without ruining the filter threading on the lens barrel.

I've used mine successfully on about a half-dozen dinged filter barrels on lens that have come with some 80 used cameras I've bought for collecting, rebuilding and reselling.

Arnold Harris
Mount Horeb WI

605er
Tinkerer
Username: 605er

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, September 06, 2007 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have tiny ding on the front edge of an OM 135mm lens shade that was in excellent shape. It is about 1mm so I am not distraught about it, but the lens did not have a single ding on the shade. It must be very think aluminum. Would rolling the wood handle of stencil paint brush (the foam pad on dowel type) along the edge help?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration