Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FL 50/1.4 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canon FL 50/1.4 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Michalis_dk
Tinkerer
Username: Michalis_dk

Post Number: 9

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had just finished cleaning the aperture, and some glass and were trying to screw the two parts of the lens back together, very carefully (I thought). As luck would have it, I managed to screw them askew. The problem now is that I cannot separate them. Up to now I have tried to separate them with bare hands, wearing leather gloves but to no avail. Cursing hasn't helped either. Any suggestions please?

regards
Michael

PS A friend suggested using the tool for removing oil filters from cars..

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 70

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about sticky rubber pads used to remove screw tops from bottles, usually available in kitchen supplies?

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 274

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you get a grip around the outside or are you only able to reach the end faces? If you can wrap a piece of double-sided foam adhesive tape around both parts it will increase your grip tremendously. If you're cross-threaded you want to avoid applying pressure in on the end faces if possible, it will tend to jam the threads more tightly together.

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 37

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Michael: putting the two parts of a helicoid back together is usually tricky go slow , I usually start by back rotation until I feel an engagement point then try very gently to thread them together, Looking at the threads and seeing where they end on each half helps. I agree with Charlie in using the rubber grip mats..Good luck Don

Michalis_dk
Tinkerer
Username: Michalis_dk

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll try them. I did go slow and am really surprised that it did not take more than that to (most likely) cross-thread. The one thing I'm afraid of now is whether the aperture ring could be damaged (internally) in the process..

Canuck_curt
Tinkerer
Username: Canuck_curt

Post Number: 8

Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 06:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A friend once suggested plain old rubber dishwashing gloves. Huge increase in traction and works 99 % of the time.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration