Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica 35 GX R/F alignment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Yashica 35 GX R/F alignment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Alex
Tinkerer
Username: Alex

Post Number: 35

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The two split images won't coincide at infinity. Could anyone offer advice on how to set about collimating the rangefinder (including getting access to it!)?

Alex

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 40

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe you have to remove the top by taking off the silver perimeter screws, To remove the wind lever you have to either buy or make a spanner to fit the two holes in the cap screw. The rewind lever has to come off too there may be a screw under the flip lever on top or unthread the shaft ,it's been a while on this one. But before you start make sure there is no access to the rf under the leatherette. Maybe someone has done one more recently..Don

Alex
Tinkerer

Post Number: 36

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 01:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Don. This is what's puzzled me, there are no perimeter screws I can see, as there are in the GSN, where I can see three. I have a tool which can take off the cap screw over the lever wind, and I've seen how to take off the rewind, but the absence of other screws made me wonder if there was something else I needed to be aware of. Cosmetically, this GX is in very fine condition, and I'm simply cautious about doing un-necessary damage through ignorance.

Incidentally, I may need to take the front of the lens off, as I see that the shutter blades are not fully opening, as I can see a 'starfish' shape at f/4 and wider when I look from behind the lens. I'm hoping this is just a question of a little flush cleaning.

Alex

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 41

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex: Did you check under the rewind knob or in the film chambers? Possibly under the accessory shoe, Very few had tabs under the leatherette, And I think your right about the blades getting greased up , This one has me stumped...Don

Donnie_strickland
Tinkerer
Username: Donnie_strickland

Post Number: 24

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Alex -- look under the hotshoe.

1. Take off the hotshoe cover by sliding a tiny screwdriver (or other suitable tool) underneath.

2. Take out the 3 screws you will find there.

3. Then g-e-n-t-l-y lift the black plastic piece which contains the flash contact.

4. Look in the hole and you will see a large crosspoint (not Phillips) screw head. I believe this is the one you seek. Use a flat-bladed screwdriver on it.

Alex
Tinkerer

Post Number: 37

Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for the tips, guys. I also see a screw under the rewind crank - can't think why I never noticed it before. I shall be giving it a try, gingerly, and will report on how it goes.

I had, incidentally, not wanted to try it myself, the camera being in particularly good condition, close to mint, me being mostly a tinkerer, and had been prepared to pay for a servicing, even if it was uneconomic. Surprisingly, the first two camera repair services, advertising via the net, which I tried, turned it down as "not viable". That surprised me because I'd have thought a rangefinder adjustment, even on a venerable Yashica, was bread-and-butter stuff to a camera technician.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration