Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Speed Graphic 3x4 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Speed Graphic 3x4 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Slamarca
Tinkerer
Username: Slamarca

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all, I've got a Speed Graphic 3x4 (I know, I know, I should have checked the format before buying...). I've been able to find an european dealer that still can sell 3x4 films, but I wondered if there is a way to adapt a 4x5 back to my camera, or even to try to 'shave' the less than an inch, both horizontally and vertically, from the 3x4 back (actually 3.25x4.25 I think...) and make it larger to accept 4x5 film.
Greetings,
Sergio La Marca
Italy

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 43

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sergio: You could try cutting 4x5 film down in the darkroom to fit your holders, I still have some 3-1/4x4-1/4 holders If you are interested, I also have a 2-1/4x3-1/4 back with ground glass I don't know if that would help you. Don

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 283

Posted on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 03:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might have more luck making a reducing adapter for it so you could fit an old 120 roll holder for 6x9cm photos. At least this wouldn't require cutting the camera up.

Slamarca
Tinkerer

Post Number: 10

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 03:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, I was aware of both those options. As I said, obtaining 3x4 film should not be a problem. I'm waiting to find a roll film back on the famous auction site, even if I wonder if shooting 6x9cm wouldn't be easier with a nice folder... I'd like to buy a Patent Etui, sooner or later. I was just wondering if the thing as possible, even if I thought maybe the part I intended to 'shave' was made of wood, and instead discovered it's metal...
I think I'll better follow your wise advices.

Greetings,
Sergio

Slamarca
Tinkerer

Post Number: 11

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 03:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, and just another question. Do you guys know if the front standard of the 4x5 Crown Graphics could fit on the 3x4 Speed Graphic rails? I was thinking of substitute the Speed Graphic front standard with the Crown Graphics ones to gain the front tilt movement. I've found a person who sells Crown Graphics parts and would like to try.

Greetings,
Sergio

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 44

Posted on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe they are different sizes, I like the idea of a roll film back, more types of film are available in 120, take a look at the front standard and see if it can be adapted to move, I remember modifying a press camera to extend movements. ...Don

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration