Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

How to open a Panagor 500mm reflex le... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » How to open a Panagor 500mm reflex lens? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Chemicalpiet
Tinkerer
Username: Chemicalpiet

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 26, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I have bought a secondhand Panagor 500mm reflex lens. It was very cheap...well for a reason I have found out. There is fungus on the front lens

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/chemicalpiet/schimmel2.jpg

I paid 15 euro's so letting it cleaned is no option. Because it is is only on the front lens I would try to fix it myself. I repair electronics al te time, but this wil be my first lens. Now the problem:

How do I get to the front lens? I have looked for srews on the focusing barrel, but can't find none. No stickers to hide them, nothing. Ik can see the screw thread of the focusing ring when full contracted, but I can't screw it completely of. Any tips? Thanx.

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 152

Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 05:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not sure about the Panagor, but I have modified various 500mm reflex lenses to fit and focus to infinity on Pentacon 6 bodies. In all of these the front element was retained by a threaded ring screwed into the filter thread.

The position of the focus limit stop/screw varied considerably. On some lenses it is just a screw located on the movable barrel, somewhere near the focus scale. Other examples have the screw hidden under the rubber focus grip, where fitted. In a Russian example of indeterminable make, the mount and rear shroud had to be removed to reveal the stop and locating screws.

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 153

Posted on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 05:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Further to the above; if your lens is like this eBay item - 32011546595 - then front element is retained by slotted screwed ring. On the above item, there does appear to be a hole that could hold a stop screw on the focus scale, or at least give access to the screw on the inner barrel.

Also clearly seen are the screws that allow the mount and the rear of the lens to be removed. Be careful if you have to clean the surface silvered mirrors, they are very easily scratched/damaged.

Chemicalpiet
Tinkerer
Username: Chemicalpiet

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I will post some pictures soon. I can't find the ebay item. And there is no acces to anny screw, so it must me a front ring.

Polaski
Tinkerer
Username: Polaski

Post Number: 12

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Panagor was a name under which Kiron lenses were marketed. Perhaps there is some experience out there with Kiron Cat lenses?

Mikel
Tinkerer
Username: Mikel

Post Number: 56

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, it was an early Kiron brand.

And some pictures will help, but I think that Glenn is on top of this, as usual.

I have worked on many Kiron lenses and some Panagors and my memory is that the build quality is excellent. They are always worth fixing.

Just a personal aside to Glenn:

Isn't it great that all of us are still "New Members"

Mike

Glenn
Tinkerer

Post Number: 186

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2007 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,

Thanks for the 'pat on the back'. As for the 'new menber' tag, I suppose it sounds nicer than 'old fart' or 'old git'!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration