Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Balda Baldessa 1a - are light seals m... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Balda Baldessa 1a - are light seals missing? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aford
Tinkerer
Username: Aford

Post Number: 4

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just finished the repair of a 35mm Balda Baldessa 1a (1956). Does anybody know if foam light seals are normally fitted to the removable back cover? None were in place when I bought the camera and I would like to run a film through this beauty. I found a manual but it does not show location of any seals. Thank you for any help.
Regards - Alford
Baldessa Manual here:

http://intranet.beaufort.gloucs.sch.uk/~prv/Manuals/baldamatic/balda_baldamatic_ ii_&_iii_index.html

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 155

Posted on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No foam seals were fitted to this camera. Light seals in the the 50s would have been made from felt or cotton cord. However the Baldessa was never fitted with any type of seals for the back door, had mine from new -1955- just plain empty grooves.

Aford
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 03:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Glenn for your prompt reply and confirming that the Baldessa back cover was never fitted with seals. I thought this was the case as the grooves are very clean, no sign of adhesive or gunge. It is in very good condition considering it is 50 years old, no scrapes or dents and the viewfinder is as clear as new.

The Baldessa is an unusual camera and well made which made me purchase it at a local camera fair, it cost me £5 a lot,lot less than it cost new! I now have more confidence to try a film in it, wonderful.

Thanks - A

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 52

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Baldessa 1a, and my girlfriend borrows it occasionally in preference to her modern p&s - she says it works better in the hand for a left-hander.

The slower shutter speeds are not what they were but otherwise it is a very nice little camera, and the back seals much better than its apparent flimsiness suggests. Get a film in it - well worth the effort!

Adrian

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 66

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No light seals at all. Be carefull when closing the back cover. If you only close the side that has the two buttons and you do not close first the other side of the cover, the back cover will be blocked and you will need all your nails to remove it!

Aford
Tinkerer

Post Number: 6

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So it seems that the Baldessa-1a definitely has no light seals, thanks for helping with my request. Thanks also for the tip on closing the back cover. I have found that opening the back cover is sometimes a problem, I can press the two buttons really hard and nothing happens, then suddenly the back cover pops off and finishes up on the ground grrr##@@@!!!

Focusing this camera is really nice and easy with the front knurled wheel and the sharp image in the range finder/viewfinder. I love it, and will definitely put a film in it.

Regards - A

Johnlees45
Tinkerer
Username: Johnlees45

Post Number: 44

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I too have a Balda Baldessa - no light seals on mine either.
My query is that I that I picked it up very cheap and ran a film through. Only the shots taken in really strong light came out well and the others were very wishy-washy and almost dreamy in quality, though that was not what I intended.
There seems to be no provision for different speed films on this camera, which is a bit of a mystery. How can that be? What speed of film should I use to get good results?
Sorry this is a bit off-topic, but it is related.
Cheers, John.

Aford
Tinkerer

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no setting for different film speeds because this model 'Baldessa 1a' does not have a built-in exposure meter. Balda did make a model with an exposure meter, the Baldamatic III this had a meter needle visable in the view finder. So to get good results you should use a hand-held light meter set to what ever film you put in your camera 100, 200, 400 ASA, whatever.

I have now put a 200 ASA film in my camera and will be testing it out, but I will be using my Weston Master III meter (adjusted for 200 ASA) to get a correct light reading.

Regards - Alf

Aford
Tinkerer

Post Number: 8

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Forgot to add that the shutter speeds on your camera may not be correct after all these years especially the slower ones, this would effect the exposure.

Hope this helps - Alf

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 79

Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't think many German cameras had light seals, I've had Retinas, Agfas, and Werras with none. I have a Leica with only the little flap on the back seled, where you open the camera up to load film there are no seals. My American Kodaks have no seals either.

Johnlees45
Tinkerer
Username: Johnlees45

Post Number: 45

Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that information, Alf. I didn't know any of that. I will dig out my dad's old exposure meter. It's somewhere in the house !!
Cheers, John.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration