Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Contax 167: Getting inside? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Contax 167: Getting inside? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Erirah
Tinkerer
Username: Erirah

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I'm trying to salvage spare parts from a Contax 167 MT, but have failed miserably because I can't even open the top cover. It moves slightly after removing 6 screws but seems to hang on the remote release socket.

The socket's thread is not the standard conical thread for a cable release, but something between an M3 and an M4 thread. Could be metric or inch.

I'm grateful for any ideas on how to proceed.

Best regards,

Erik

Darrencambs
Tinkerer
Username: Darrencambs

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Erik,
I'm not familiar with the 167 remote release, but if it's anything like the 139 (i.e. an electrical socket on the rear, right hand side of the top cover), there is actually a black metal collar that needs to be unscrewed.
An anti-clockwise tweak with a rubber bung should loosen it enough to unscrew completely.

Darrencambs
Tinkerer
Username: Darrencambs

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi again,

I just googled 'contax 167 remote socket', and came up with this link to page 145 of the Camera Maintenance and Repair book.

http://books.google.com/books?id=FVYGuuNYF6QC&pg=PA145&lpg=PA145&dq=contax+167+r emote+socket&source=web&ots=NH-fPwfcPh&sig=4UliHTwEBu2RTaiBwnf8LziAR0s

You need to unscrew that collar as I thought.

Have fun.

Erirah
Tinkerer
Username: Erirah

Post Number: 3

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you Darren,

I think you just saved me $40 for a Repair Manual reprint...

Unscrewing the collar was easy, removing the exposure comensation dial a bit harder. But I managed to remove the cover.

Thank you again for helping!

Erik

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration