Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Scratched lens Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Scratched lens « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hai
Tinkerer
Username: Hai

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
I have a Pen F Lens with a scratch just in the center of the front element. When I take pictures with it I sometimes get flare in them.
As much as I know, there are two reasonable options:
1. Paint the scratch black
2. Use glasses repair fluid.
Does painting the scratch black affect the picture quality?
Do you know if the repair fluid works?
Thanks!
Hai

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 48

Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hai: I would paint the scratch so as not to get the flare, It might not affect the picture quality, just the prestige of owning a perfect camera...The main question is how wide is the scratch, if it is only a pin size scratch don't worry, The only thing is if you are selling it the value will be low, I never used repair fluid just matte paint. Don

John_scott
Tinkerer
Username: John_scott

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would reccomend just leaving it alone. I don't think anything you can do to it is going to improve it, especially painting any king of fulid on it. The less you touch a lens the better. Too much wiping will also damage a lens and make it permanently hazy. The best way to avoid flare is to use a hood.

Hai
Tinkerer
Username: Hai

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your answers. I think I'll try to paint it black and if it doesn't help I'll remove the ink. I don't like using hoods since it makes the lens bulky...
Dgillette4 - do I need to use a special kind of ink (like india ink) or a permanent marker is enough?
Thanks,
Hai

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 289

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A marker will probably not be opaque enough: India ink is a good choice if it will stick, matte black paint will stick better if it's thin enough to get into the scratch.

The effect of the scratch will tend to be worse at smaller apertures, since the scratch then accounts for a larger proportion of the working area of the lens.... at small apertures or under certain lighting conditions you may see a shadow of the black ink spot in the image.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration