Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FE2 mirror issue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Nikon FE2 mirror issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jimwilson
Tinkerer
Username: Jimwilson

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My FE2's been working fine for years. I recently bought a Nikon MD11 motordrive for it, for my wife's benefit. I put the batteries in and mounted it on the body. The manual said that when the power was switched on, the camera would advance, and it did.

The problem is that the mirror stayed in the up position. The shutter is closed. I removed the drive, but the manual film advance lever doesn't move, and the shutter button doesn't do anything when pushed. I can move the mirror, but the spring tension makes it want to stay in the up position.

I haven't checked, but I don't remember the owner's manual covering this situation.

Any input ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jimwilson
Tinkerer
Username: Jimwilson

Post Number: 6

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found what the problem was. It was sudden battery death. I doubt it was caused by the motor drive, but when the drive power is turned on, it turns on the metering, over-riding the partial deflection of the shutter button, which is the usual power switch.

As soon as I set the shutter speed to M250, the emergency manual setting, everything worked again. It's curious, supposedly the batteries in FE2s last for years, but not mine. I'm lucky to get a year out of them.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration