Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon F1n - cannot rewind film Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canon F1n - cannot rewind film « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Marco
Tinkerer
Username: Marco

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Got this lovely workhorse only last month and I am now trying several FD lenses (there are many and not expensive anymore). This is only the second film I put through this camera. I finished the roll this afternoon but now I find I cannot remove the film:

(1) Rewind lever turns counterclockwise but won’t go down as expected (this is how I interpret pages 60-61 of the manual available at Christian Rollinger’s wonderful site - pity I cannot get a very clear picture in my monitor).
(2) In this condition rewinding is, of course, not possible (lever resistance is firm).
(3) Rewind button (at the bottom plate – however, fiddling with it is not prescribed) is in its extended position and won’t move.

Things I may have done wrong:

(a) I opened the back half way through (I told you I am nervous). So, I must have reached frame 37 or 38, but the frame counter only reads 22.
(b) As I reached the last frame I managed to wind about 99% of the full stroke but the shutter button wouldn’t react. So I did a little button pushing and lever turning until something clicked in position and I finally managed to take the last picture (hope this doesn’t sound ominous). Thus, the winding lever did not “stop before the end of its stroke” (p.60) but is now in its fully retracted position.

I believe I’ve done a comprehensive web search but no one seems to have met with this problem and been unable to solve it, so I’ll appreciate your help. Many thanks in advance.

Ben_hutcherson
Tinkerer
Username: Ben_hutcherson

Post Number: 52

Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Consider that the pg 60-61 you mentioned corresponds with the manual for the New F-1, I'm going to assume that this is what you have.

A couple of thoughts come to mind:

1. You need to unfold the rewind crank, and then turn it about a half a turn before it engages. Otherwise, it just spins freely. This was mostly to keep it from ripping your hair or other appendages off when spinning at 5+ fps, but can sometimes confuse the new user. I know that it certainly confused me at first.

2. Don't try to push the rewind button on the bottom plate-it's only intended to be depressed by the motor drive power rewind mechanism, and thus doesn't have enough of a recession around it to be pushed by your finger. Rather, you should be using the rewind button on the top. Locate the small knob marked "r" behind the shutter speed dial, turn it about a quarter turn clockwise, and then push down. This should allow you to rewind.

I believe that if you try to force it, the wind mechanism will slip and allow you to continue cranking so that you don't tear the film. This sounds like what you may have done. I wouldn't be overly concerned about it.

Otherwise, what you've described doesn't exactly sound abnormal. If you follow the above steps, I think that you'll find that things should work properly.

Marco
Tinkerer
Username: Marco

Post Number: 6

Posted on Saturday, July 07, 2007 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much Ben for your detailed suggestions. I tried to convince the rewind button to cooperate but it wouldn't. In the end I opened the back in total darkness and rewound the film manually. Tried the camera with a spent film and can confirm that the rewind button is now operating correctly. I just put a new film and hope everything will be fine. Thanks again!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration