Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Miranda Sensomat RE stopdown button Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Miranda Sensomat RE stopdown button « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Helens
Tinkerer
Username: Helens

Post Number: 16

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anybody know how to remove the chromed stopdown button at 5 o'clock to the lens (viewed from the front) on the body of the Miranda Sensomat RE? I know that the leatherette in its centre can be picked off to reveal a screw, but I cannot get it to undo. I've a working RE with this button missing (leaving a rather painful-to-the-finger needlelike component as the only thing to press), and a donor camera with a faulty shutter (conversely, I suppose I could look into fixing the shutter of the donor, which is in magnificent cosmetic condition, if anybody has any handy hints! It's suffering from capping/tapering at fast speeds and intermittent hanging at slow speeds).

Thanks in advance,

Helen

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 290

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Helen:

I don't recall the details of the button itself, but if you peel back the leatherette about an inch from the lens mount side, you can remove 2 screws and the entire panel comes off with the button attached. Maybe it will become more obvious from that point.

The other camera sounds like it needs a good cleaning... unfortunately Mirandas are a bit sensitive to dirt. The slow speed escapement is easily accessible under the baseplate (next to the tripod socket), and you may be able to get at the curtain spindles for cleaning by removing the access panels on both sides of the lens mount. Once you have it all as clean as you can get it, you may be able to perk it up by increasing the tension a little on both curtains... this is also under the baseplate, next to the battery box.

Helens
Tinkerer
Username: Helens

Post Number: 17

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick,

Thanks very much indeed for the helpful pointers - I'll give it a go when time permits and the button swapping sounds exactly what I need to do. I'd been considering swapping the pristine top plate parts onto my "second best, but most working" Sensomat RE (well, if I ever managed to unscrew the winder hub on ANY of 'em - they resist every rubber tool I try!) but then I realised that this pretty one with the tired shutter is slightly earlier production - and to my surprise, it has a noticeably shallower top plate with different contours where it meets the chassis to every other example of the Sensomat RE I've seen. Apparently they changed the chassis casting - the early one even has its strap lugs mounted higher.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 293

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Instead of a rubber tool, get a wooden dowel (even better, one of those screwdrivers that you can pull the shaft out of the handle - toss the shaft, keep the handle) and get some double-sided foam adhesive tape. Stick a piece of tape on the end of the dowel/handle, stick that onto the winder hub and it will unscrew without a fight.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration