Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Stuck dust cap on Canon extension tube Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Stuck dust cap on Canon extension tube « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Panzer
Tinkerer
Username: Panzer

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 06:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all. I just found this forum so this is my first post. I just picked up a Canon A-1 and AE-1 along with some lenses and some of the pieces have some issues so I'll probably be visiting here fairly often. First off, a Canon Extension Tube FD 50 has the rear dust cap stuck. Overall it appears to be in good condition with no visible signs of damage. How can I remove it?

Glenn
Tinkerer
Username: Glenn

Post Number: 158

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hold the barrel of the tube and rotate the alloy breech ring anti-clockwise - looking from front of tube, lift off cap. Some 3rd party caps do not locate on the index pin and thus can also rotate with the breech ring. If this happens you have to gently rotate the cap until the cap lugs coincide with the cut-outs in the ring. If cap still will not move, remove the breech ring stop-screw and carefully continue unscrewing the ring until the cap comes free.

Genuine Canon caps, meant for the new FD lenses - they have a ridged circumference on the end and raised stops on the lugs, can also jam, but only if one is very ham-fisted

Panzer
Tinkerer
Username: Panzer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Glenn. I didn't realize that the ring turned.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration