Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Zuiko 135/2.8 infinity focus/loose el... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Zuiko 135/2.8 infinity focus/loose element? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Berks
Tinkerer
Username: Berks

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Zuiko 135/2.8 MC lens that I am absolutely in love with. It is always in my camera bag. Lately I have observed that sometimes it does not focus to infinity with any of the two OM2n's I have. It stops a little short of infinity. At other times it works fine. The problem with infinity focus is not dependent on weather conditions.

I noticed the other day that the pictures I took when it want focusing to infinity were less sharp than the other ones, even though I had stopped down to f/8 or so. I think this may indicate the front element coming loose, or something else in the lens. I do not see any signs of separation, or other serious problems.

How do I fix this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Berk

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 291

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Berk:

Does the lens rattle when you shake it? If you have a loose element, you might hear it move.

When the lens fails to reach infinity, does the engraved scale indicate that it is at infinity or did it stop short? If it stopped short, you have a different problem.

Do you notice any similar event with any other lenses? (since you mention one lens and 2 bodies, I assume you've already determined that the problem is in this lens only, but it can't hurt to ask)

Berks
Tinkerer
Username: Berks

Post Number: 2

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Rick

Yes there's a little rattle, but all my Zuiko lenses rattle a little. Plus this lens also has built in shade which rattles. But I think it rattles from the inside too.

The scale reaches infinity, the split image in viewfinder does not.

My other lenses work fine. I have a 24mm and 2 50mm Zuikos. I had a 28mm Zuiko before that had the same problem, but I did not get it fixed as I was not happy with the performance of that lens even before it happened.

How do I get it a 135/2.8 Zuiko?

(BTW It says "new member" under your name. Aren't you one of the oldest members of this forum?)

Thanks, Berk

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 292

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 04:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i think they all say new member, don't they? they reformatted the site a while back and everyone became 'new' again (wish it was that easy in real life....)

I haven't worked on a 135/2.8, but on the Zuikos in my notes, you go in the front by unscrewing the ring that has the engraving on it. There are rubber tools made just for this at www.micro-tools.com, or you may be able to use a rubber crutch tip. I have a piece of PVC drain pipe with a layer of double-stick foam tape on the end, which works very well. Once in that far, you may be able to either unscrew or just lift out the front lens cell. Get that far, and see if there's a rattle within the cell itself - everything should be tight there, any rattle indicates a problem. It's a pretty simple lens, hopefully you'll find where the trouble is.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration