Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pho Tak Foldex Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Pho Tak Foldex « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 11

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received a Foldex that I bought on ebay and I have a couple of questions about it. It is an odd model with a gray plastic top, not the Foldex 20. It seems to have been intended for 620/PB20 film, but 120 will fit (snugly, but it DOES fit). Anyway:

1. It has a Steinheil Munchen 100mm Cassar lens. In researching it, I keep running into conflicting information. Some people seem to think the Cassar is a Tessar-type lens and others seem to think it is a triplet. Does anyone out there know for sure which it is?

2. Looking at the back of the camera, ... well, ... where I am used to seeing a red window, I am seeing a green one. Is this original or was there once some "repairman" out there with an odd sense of humor?

Canuck_curt
Tinkerer
Username: Canuck_curt

Post Number: 9

Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 05:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
Seems you might have a Foldex 30. I believe the Foldex had a black top and Octvar lens while the Foldex 30 had a grey top and Steinheil Cassar lens. As you probably know, the only difference between 120 and 620 is the spool so as long as your camera accomodates both the spool end diameter and the slight difference in the end slot then good to go. Yes, the green window is normal, not a repair.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 12

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 07:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yep, this one has the gray top. Any idea whether the Cassar is a triplet or a Tessar? Some of my resources say it's a triplet and some say it is a tessar. From what I can see, if it is a Tessar, ... well, ... it's no Zeiss. If it's a triplet, it's not bad though.

The camera I have seems to accept both 120 and 620 spools.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 13

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It occurs to me that I have a Bessa with a lousy body and a good lens, and a Pho Tak with a good body and a lousy lens. You can probably guess what I'm thinking. I'm assuming it just can't be that easy though. Anyone know what is involved in swapping lenses other than unscrewing the lens from one camera and putting it on another?

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer

Post Number: 14

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Should have said lens and shutter.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration