Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashinon 55mm f1.2 yellow tint issue Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Yashinon 55mm f1.2 yellow tint issue « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

F16sunshyn
Tinkerer
Username: F16sunshyn

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I bit the bullet last week and overspent for a Yashinon 55 1.2 M42 mount. It is like new and maybe unused. The only issue is it seems to have a bit of a yellow cast when I look thrue the viewfinder. I have only shot B&W so far so it is hard to see effect.The coatings kind of look yellow to me with these lenses. I read about someone putting an old takumar lens in a window sill for a week to solve similar issues. It sound like hokus-pokus to me. But photography and cameras are all about magic right? Does anyone have any feedback,experience, or general science about this one?

Berks
Tinkerer
Username: Berks

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have tried that trick with a yellowed Yashinon DS-M 50/1.7 and it worked very well. You can put a sheet of tin foil between the lens cap and front element to increase the effect. Then just remove the rear cap and put the lens somewhere where it gets direct sunlight. You may need to re-position the lens as the sun moves.

For your lens maybe it is better to put the tin foil at the back and expose the lens to the sun from the front. The tin foil increases the effect by exposing the glass for the second time by reflected rays. You also make sure you do not set something on fire.

My lens cleared up in 2-3 days. I do not know how long it takes for a 55/1.2. Depends also on how yellow it is.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 294

Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 03:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you see the yellow cast when you look through the lens (not on the camera) at a brightly sunlit sheet of white paper? If so, it is not the coatings, it's discoloration of the glass. I have not done it myself (I've never had one of these lenses) but I have discussed the windowsill fix first hand with (I believe) one of the first guys to do experiment with it a few years back. As I recall the exchange, it worked very well and took about a week in the window in a semitropical location (farther north might take longer, but this is at least a good time of year for it). He wrapped the barrel in aluminum foil, mainly just to reduce the amount of heating of the lens from the sun so he wouldn't have to go right in and clean the focus helical grease out of the diaphragm.

Bcostin
Tinkerer
Username: Bcostin

Post Number: 2

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The windowsill method definitely helps. I've used it on badly yellowed Takumar 55/1.4 and a Canon 58/1.2. I left the on the sill, upside down, with top capped in aluminum foil.

It took about 2 weeks of Maryland sunshine to see a difference, but this was in fall when the sunlight was fairly feeble. And I had to use a less bright windowsill that was inaccessible to our cats (they ruthlessly remove any foreign objects on "their" windowsills.)

Petercat
Tinkerer
Username: Petercat

Post Number: 9

Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if a florescent or an ultraviolet lamp would work as well? No fire hazard, no moving the lens, easy to cat-proof (unless yours have opposable thumbs). Would someone try this and let us know?

Alchemy
Tinkerer
Username: Alchemy

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A UV sun lamp will work. I cleared the yellow tint from a couple of aero ektars and a tth enlarger lens with a small florescent tanning lamp. It took about two weeks though.

Docman
Tinkerer
Username: Docman

Post Number: 12

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yeap. UV lamps works like a charm. Beware of skin burns & intense heat.
It will discolour any fabrics also.

Careful.

F16sunshyn
Tinkerer
Username: F16sunshyn

Post Number: 10

Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So yes this does work quite well yellow cast is gone. I happened to have the lens in a window sill during a dinner party. One of the fellows noticed it and asked me if I was killing fungus. I explained what I was doing. He proceeds to describe using this same method to destroy fungus that he discovered in early stages many years previous. Makes sense to me. I am sure that uv light would do the same job. The mellow but steady amount of heat from our NW sun probably would aid as well and make window a better option. Late stage or foci anywhere but very edges would not be helped of course. The only fungus I have ever personally encountered has been on very edges of front element interior. It was before my years as a tinkerer and I paid for a CLA to remedy. This certainly would save that trouble.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration