Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

RICOH Five-One-Nine shutter removal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » RICOH Five-One-Nine shutter removal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Will_inoue
Tinkerer
Username: Will_inoue

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,
I'm working on a Ricoh Five-One-Nine with a Seikosha MXL Shutter. One or two of the aperture blades is dislodged. Question is - how do I remove the shutter assembly from the camera body so I can get at the diaphragm? There doesn't seem to be any accessible screws. On the front there is a chrome decorative metal plate at the base of the lens assembly (No leatherette to peel back and reveal screws). And on the inside of the body there are no screws either. It seems I have to remove the focus stop then focus the lens out of the helical. And I'm not sure if this is the correct method or not. Any help would be appreciated - Thanks. -Will

John_scott
Tinkerer
Username: John_scott

Post Number: 6

Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 07:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To get at the aperture (and also the shutter) blades of the late 50s Japanese cameras with Seikosha shutters that I have fixed (or tried to fix), I believe the first few steps are to:

1. remove the top and bottom covers

2. peel back covering to find and remove the screws (usually 4) that hold the front standard plate on the camera body.

3. remove the ring nut (around the rear lens element) that holds the shutter assembly on the aluminum standard plate. Usually requires a lens spanner.

From there, it can vary considerably between different models and brands.

At any rate, you get at the blades from the back, not from the front.

I'm a patient guy, but fooling with shutter and aperture blades, and getting a camera back together, is almost more tedious a job than I can stand.

As I recall, I think if you search the forum's repair articles, you may find some photos of a Yashica Lynx undergoing this repair.

Will_inoue
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 06:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi John, Thanks for your reply. On this camera I don't see any way to remove the lens/shutter assembly by peeling back the leatherette and removing the screws. This camera has a chrome metal plate that goes right up to the bodies casting. I'm certain the screws are under this metal plate (I can see the tapped bores inside the camera arrayed around the lens opening). See pictures below. Thanks again. -Will

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-6/1262478/5191.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-6/1262478/5192.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2007-6/1262478/5193.JPG

John_scott
Tinkerer
Username: John_scott

Post Number: 7

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will, I have never had a Ricoh like yours, but my best guess would be that the only thing holding the shutter assembly onto the body is the retaining ring/nut. I would start by using a lens spanner to unscrew the rear lens group, and then unscrewing the retaining ring/nut. I think the lens would come loose, and you can then continue disassembly to get at the blades.

Those ring-nuts can sometimes be pretty tight. If you don't have a proper lens spanner, it can be tough. But if you're lucky, it might not be so tight.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 157

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 01:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Old Ricohs are a bit oddly constructed, so I guess John is right. Your second photo looks similar to what I know from Ricoh 35 L models, it shows a kind of black collar deep down inside of which there must be that ring/retainer nut with usually two notches, sometimes four. For the different diameters of these ring nuts I have made myself a set of steel sheet tools just long enough to reach the grooves (cardboard models do the trick!). These tools can be held with pliers, and the square whole of the film window is wide enough to offer access to the nut, although one has to be very careful not to scratch anything. After carefully studying your photos I guess thet is the only way to remove the shutter, W.

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 68

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 04:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Yashica Lynx have four screws under the leatherette.

My guess is that you have to remove the shutter back retainer ring.

Will_inoue
Tinkerer

Post Number: 5

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Guys - I got it! There was a ring nut deep inside the collar as mentioned. Your help is very much appreciated! -Will

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration