Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Attn: Rick Oleson; synchro-compur shu... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Attn: Rick Oleson; synchro-compur shutters opening/closing on film advance « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Arnoldharris
Tinkerer
Username: Arnoldharris

Post Number: 18

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rick, I'm the guy with the collection of Voigtlander Vitessa-Ts and Agfa Ambi-Silettes. Both have more or less the same Synchro-Compur CN-1110-030 (wide) shutter.

Some of these shutters stick in a ways I haven't yet figured out. The shutter blades open and then close again after the rewind knob (on the Ambi-Silette) or combi-plumger (on the Vitessa-T) reaches the end of its travel and the spring-loaded lever is moving back to home position.

It sounds like the problem is somewhere in the respective linkage systems. But the linkages are greatly different on the two camera makes, and the shutter's internal cocking and release system are probably identical.

So what's happening here?

On the Vitessa-T it's relatively easy to get the shutter mounting cone loose, dismount the shutter assembly and clean/lube. On the Ambi-Silette, it's something I'm not looking forward to.

If anybody else in addition to Rick knows something about this problem in particular, I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Arnold Harris
Mount Horeb WI
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 295

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Arnold:

I don't think I've worked on either a Vitessa-T or an Ambi-Silette's shutter. I can think of a possibility for the problem you're seeing: this is that the shutter release is not catching the cocking ring when you cock the shutter - this could be because the shutter is not cocking far enough to get to the catch, or the catch is sticking and not engaging the ring. The first case is impossible with lever-cocking shutters but it is common where the shutter is linked to the film advance to be cocked automatically: as the linkage wears, the cocking ring travels a bit less until it does not catch.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration