Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Theres something living in my camera... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Theres something living in my camera... « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Camfan
Tinkerer
Username: Camfan

Post Number: 3

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just noticed that a speck of dust in my viewfinder was actually quite mobile! To my horror there was a tiny mite in the view finder. I hope there aren't more but these things tend to breed! Any bright ideas out there for a safe way to annilihate these things without damaging my camera, i've got rid of the one but there could be more. Its a Nikon FM btw.

Maybe someone has a good idea!

Dan

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 159

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 02:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This seems to me like another CAFOM story ("cameras are full of mysteries"), although I have heard someone say there was a pack of spiders living in his camera, and every now and then one of them showed up (to say hallo?).
You could try to suffocate the vermin: put the camera in a plastic bag, get out all air by means of one of those household deep freeze vacuum pumps and then seal it. Or you could try deep freezing below 20 degrees centigrade for a while. Dehydrating the creatures will be more difficult. Insecticide inside a sealed bag is another method to consider, but this also will take some time, W.

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 75

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 04:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Suffocation might not eliminate any eggs. Maybe heat, put in a dark plastic bag in the sun for a few hours.

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer
Username: Rick_oleson

Post Number: 302

Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 08:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I once bought a nonworking Praktisix and found the remains of some quite large creatures in it, which had built a colony in the shutter speed gearing... much too big to fit through any openings in the body. They could have hatched there and grown, but that begs the question of who went in there and laid the eggs.....

it was sort of the camera equivalent of stories about squirrels making nests in car engines....

Kiron_kid
Tinkerer
Username: Kiron_kid

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Awhile ago, while using my FM to burn some Kodak HEI, I too, noticed a Mite or Tick, cruising around inside the Pentaprism. It eventually disappeared, or is in hibernation?

Kiron Kid

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 304

Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

obviously a shutterbug

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 58

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 01:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

GROAN!

Dgillette4
Tinkerer
Username: Dgillette4

Post Number: 51

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 07:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Probably was the on site (Engineer)

Rick_oleson
Tinkerer

Post Number: 305

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry. i knew it was a terrible thing to do but i couldn't help myself.....

Camfan
Tinkerer
Username: Camfan

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Too good to pass that one by eh Rick!

Well it hasn't returned so i'm hoping it was a solo mite. My googling suggests that a high level dose of CO2 might do the trick but as i haven't seen any sign of further mite incursions i think i'll leave well enough alone!

Kkl122002
Tinkerer
Username: Kkl122002

Post Number: 23

Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 01:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using CO2 can not kill them, especially their eggs. I think, may be you the way of killing Termites to kill the bugs. Seal it with plastic bag, fill with pesticide and leave it there for a couple of days.

Ade
Tinkerer
Username: Ade

Post Number: 4

Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 05:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i've read about this on several occasions in amateur photographer,sealing in a plastic bag with a pesticide is only way to eradicate pests and eggs.

Olly_ympus
Tinkerer
Username: Olly_ympus

Post Number: 14

Posted on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hope I never have a problem like this myself. But if I did I would seal the camera in a plastic bag with moth balls for a few days. It won't harm the camera and will kill any critters and their offspring.

Ethostech
Tinkerer
Username: Ethostech

Post Number: 76

Posted on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This issue has been around since Canada Balsam was first used to cement glass components - and of course, lens elements.
I have no information as to the source of the bugs but it is known they are attracted by and feed off the Canada Balsam.
Best way to banish them is a mechanical stripdown and clean out. Then saturate the stripped camera with a light dose of UV.

Fallisphoto
Tinkerer
Username: Fallisphoto

Post Number: 29

Posted on Sunday, August 26, 2007 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Worst I ever heard of was an old wooden Ansco camera, stored with the back open and the bellows extended, on a shelf in a barn. It had a bird's nest in it.

Polaski
Tinkerer
Username: Polaski

Post Number: 10

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the mothballs don't work, go to an exterminator supply store. They have a powder that vaporizes and kills eveything in the area..

That said, you are only want a pinch of the stuff, and do the transfer outside in fresh air, using gloves and stuff. I used it once to sanitize a small wooden antique in a large plastic trash bag.. Non-corrosive, though, so the gear should be safe.

Alanstarkie2001
Tinkerer
Username: Alanstarkie2001

Post Number: 7

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You could try exposing it to a radioactive isotope for a few days but beware of mutations! Personally I'd leave it to live out its life peacefully - probably won't do much harm and will keep you company. Think of it a a traveling companion.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration