Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

15V battery found in the Yashica Elec... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » 15V battery found in the Yashica Electro 35 GTN i bought! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Largo
Tinkerer
Username: Largo

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 09:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all Yashicaddicts! This is my first post here and i have 2 questions for you experts ;)

I recently purchased (50€) a nice Electro 35 GTN (i already have an Electro 35 CC ;) but unfortunately it doesn't work even with a new 6V battery : the battery check lamp stays off, but the shutter is ok i think). I have tested the continuity between the spring in the battery compartment and the spot behind the battery test button frame, and there is no continuity, so i bet the wire is corroded or detached... I know i have to remove the top cover and bottom plate. => My first question is : Do i really need a special precision screwdriver ? If yes, can you give me some reference/brand please?

(I managed to remove 2 screws of the bottom plate but the last one is hard to remove with my precision screwdriver, maybe the head of my precision screwdriver does not have the appropriate shape, i don't want to damage the screw head!)

But what worried me is that i found a 15V (PX74) battery inside the battery compartment when i bought it (a 5.6V battery is required)!! So my second question is : What are the possible consequences of such a high voltage in this camera? Some broken electronic components? I hope not!
What are your opinions? Thank you !

Loic / Paris / France

Anirban
Tinkerer
Username: Anirban

Post Number: 18

Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 07:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I am pretty sure the meter lights would burn out if anything more than 5V is applied across its terminals. The circuit makes sure this is not so when the battery voltage is 6V, but with 15V burn out is a real possibility. Also, the CdS cell could be damaged from overvoltage.

I don't know about precision screwdrivers -- I have a set of Philips miniatures. If you don't mind a few scratches or ugly screw-heads, you can use the smallest blade of a Swiss Army knife :-)

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 76

Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 04:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I needed to replace that wire on my GSN and found it was possible to fit a wire from the pad on the test button card over to the left and then down just inside the front of the camera to the bottom compartment, being careful not to block any of the viewfinder. It doesn't seem to interfere with whatever mechanisms may be in that area.

Largo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 03:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i just opened my GTN , and this wire was corroded and broken. Soldering it to the battery compartment was easy, but soldering it to the board seems to be difficult , even with my small soldering iron, there are too many wires all around, i fear i might melt the other wires, so i am considering your solution Charlie.... Thank you, i shall let you know in a couple of days what happened for me and my GTN ;)

Charlie
Tinkerer
Username: Charlie

Post Number: 77

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 04:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Instead of soldering the wire to the button board, I attached it using a small dab of conductive epoxy of the kind used to repair auto rear window defroster grids (obtainable in any auto parts store). It takes a few hours to cure properly but otherwise is an easy repair.

Largo
Tinkerer

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 02:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi!
I eventually managed to solder my new wire to the the button board.... and.... MY GTN NOW WORKS PERFECTLY!! ! I am so happy ;-D.
I now just have to shoot a complete film roll to test the rangefinder, the cell and automatic exposure!!
I can't wait to shoot by night w/o flash, by setting it at 800 or 1000iso and pushing Kodak triX-400 film !!
Thank you all of you once again ! I shall let you know about the results i get after development of my first rolls..
Is there a place on rangefinderforum where i can post some pictures?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration