Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica mtl 5 question... help guys?... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Praktica mtl 5 question... help guys?!.. please « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Nhkchef
Tinkerer
Username: Nhkchef

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 06:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've just been given a Praktica MTL 5 with 3 lenses -
Pentacon 1.8/50 Auto,
sicor XL 1:28 135mm auto,
Mikaton Wide 1:2.8 28mm.
All in Leather hard Cases,
all had filters from new so immaculate lens condition and also an optar 301C flashgun.
i'm not clued up with older cameras
at all so am wondering if they may be worth anything
so i could maybe get another lens or flashgun for my digital setup?
please help, i'm wanting all of your expert help, thanks guys,

Turnergande
Tinkerer
Username: Turnergande

Post Number: 15

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see a lot of MTL series Prakticas with normal lenses selling on eBay for $15 to $35. Praktica originally sold so many of these at relatively low cost so the answer is....your camera with Pentacon lens is worth very little. As a decent 'user camera' then maybe it's worth tying out with some film. Your other lenses may also be worth very little since they appear to be rather obscure non name brands. Again, you would have to try them out to see if they have sufficiently good optical qualities. What digital set-up do you have? Some DSLRs can easily use classic era lenses (usually with adapters) and that can be fun in a retro sort of way. In this case one should be prepared to lose the convenience of auto focus and various other features modern digital offers.

York_praktica_fan
Tinkerer
Username: York_praktica_fan

Post Number: 14

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 05:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Praktica MTL5 with the pentacon 50mm lens was for many in Europe their starting point with photography. They were, as Turnergande says sold chaeply and in large numbers, but that belies the fact theat the cameras were robust and the pentacon lens in questions is a good lens when only slightly stopped down.

Run a film through the camera, you may be pleasantly surprised. You may need a new battery for the light meter, the current alkaline 625 cells will work fine, despite being a slightly higher volatge than the original mercury cell.

as they used to say about a certain soft drink, try it you might like it!

regards

Stephen

Nhkchef
Tinkerer
Username: Nhkchef

Post Number: 2

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 08:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks guys, that helps!
i might just give it a go, as they said about another soft drink, "whats the worst that can happen!!"

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration