Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Baquelite Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Baquelite « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer
Username: Pablomartinez

Post Number: 69

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 07:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it is called Baquelite in english but I'm not sure. What I talk about it is the black kind of plastic that many old cameras are made of.

I just bought a french baquelite camera and when I got home I discovered that a chunk of baquelite from the camera body is missing, letting light get in the camera.

I need to remake a new piece of the camera. Anybody knows what shoud I use? Epoxy? Car filler?

Thanks

M_currie
Tinkerer
Username: M_currie

Post Number: 60

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 07:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The English spelling is Bakelite. I think either a heavy bodied epoxy (putty consistency) or car filler would probably work, but if there is a need for structural strength, I'd go with the epoxy. The heavier the better, because even car filler sags when unsupported. You might have to make a paper or tape dam to hold it, or apply it in multiple layers.

I haven't done more than glance, but if you do a Google search for "Bakelite repair" you'll find some information, because Bakelite was a common material for old radio cases.

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 70

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bakelite, with a K!

Thanks, I'll try with an epoxy putty that I normally use to repair leaking water pipes.

That stuff is white, so I will have to paint it black.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 163

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Pablo, the problem is that Bakelite cases often tend to lose their original shape if a piece has broken off. The new material you use when replacing the missing chunk often does not stick to where you put it. I have repaired several old radio cases and used epoxy plus a fiberglass mat plus several types of car filler. It was not possible to make colours match, so I had to mix different paints to obtain the right dark brown finish.

Wernerjb
Tinkerer
Username: Wernerjb

Post Number: 164

Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PS: "brown" is a difficult colour, by adding white to make it lighter it tends to look violet-purplish, so one has to be careful not to spoil the mix!

Pablomartinez
Tinkerer

Post Number: 71

Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 01:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I repaired the case yesterday with epoxy putty and this morning I dicovered that the piece has not stuck in place. The new piece I added came off. I carefully sanded the bakelite befor gluing but that did not help.

I have to try something else! (not much to loose, I payed 1 euro for the camera)

By the way, the bakelite of the case is black, I should not have any problem with the color.

Adrian
Tinkerer
Username: Adrian

Post Number: 60

Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 01:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Random - yet nearly relevant - factoid.

Leo Baekeland, inventor of Bakelite, was also the inventor of Velox photo paper - so all those 1930s Kodak prints with "Velox" in a little diamond shape on the back are thanks to him too.

Quite a chap - apart from anything else, he must have kept the French camera industry in work from about 1945 to 1960!

Not that that helps Pablo...

Adrian

Canuck_curt
Tinkerer
Username: Canuck_curt

Post Number: 10

Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 04:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You might also try a product available at least in the US and Canada called JB Weld. It is a form of expoxy(I think) putty that you press on, shape and it dries hard as rock.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration