Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Strange Leaks with Contax RX and IR f... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Strange Leaks with Contax RX and IR film ?? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

F16sunshyn
Tinkerer
Username: F16sunshyn

Post Number: 5

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have shot some MACO IR B+W recently. In some frames but not all there apears to be an effect similar to light leaks in a doorseal. In one sequence of brackets it is quite appearant on right and left bottom edges of neg. The longer the exposure the more the leak effect. It only appears on R/L edges. This cam is ligh tight. I don't have the issue on all frames. And have never had an issue with any other film. Any ideas? The RX is my most modern MF cam. I like to use it for IR because it is super easy to load in blackbag and very accurate. I am relatively new at IR film. Is there a chance this is a problem with medium rather than equiptment. I can't for the life of me figure out how this stray radiation is getting in when shutter is opened and closed. All clues would be appreciated.

John_shriver
Tinkerer
Username: John_shriver

Post Number: 14

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Given that it is such a modern and motorized camera, it seems rather likely that the Contax RX uses an IR emitter and photodiode to track the film sprockets, rather than a mechanical sprocket wheel. If there's no toothed sprocket wheel that the film goes over, that's certainly the problem.

F16sunshyn
Tinkerer
Username: F16sunshyn

Post Number: 6

Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That sounds reasonable. There is a toothed sprocket wheel, and no sign of a photodiode however. It is a modern camera for me maybe but still was produced in '96.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration