Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Praktica b 200... worth fixing? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Praktica b 200... worth fixing? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Simko
Tinkerer
Username: Simko

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone, first post but i have to be brief.

I received a Praktica B 200 camera from a friend, Everything appears to be in working order, but the shutter advance lever will not cock, or move over all the way, i dont want to force it and risk more damages, is anyone familiar with this problem?

Is it worth fixing this camera? I have never heard of them before and i myself am an amateur photographer/ mess around with cameras for fun.

I have a Nikon FE, is the praktica better or comparable to that nikon?

Thanks
-aaron
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

York_praktica_fan
Tinkerer
Username: York_praktica_fan

Post Number: 16

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 02:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Simko

the B200 was a good camera in its day, particualrly as it was a cheap way into Zeiss lenses. However they were an export product of the DDR and as such their quality control was sometimes variable. They were cheap camera, which like their M42 mount predecessors, provided many photographers with their first quality camera.

Getting such a camera repaired will be expensive, I dis manage to have an MTL 50 CLA'd for £35, but it required no new parts. The cost of service will probably way exceed the value of the camera, if you have a lot of accesories to go with it you could try eBay, any accesories will also be compatable with BC1, BC3 and BX20 (similar spec to B200) and BCA (auto only) and BMS (manual only)

For further details you could try

www.praktica-collector.de

or www.praktica-users.com

which are detailed fan sites

there is a Yahoo group called "Praktica User Group Worldwide" where the real hardened prakticanauts hangout.

As to whether the camera compares to a Nikon FE - the lenses can give the Nikons a good run for the money, but the Nikon's engineering will always win in the body dept.

Hope this helps

Stephen

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration