Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Stuck mirror/shutter on Yashica TL-Super Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Stuck mirror/shutter on Yashica TL-Super « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Focal7175
Tinkerer
Username: Focal7175

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just received a Yashica TL-Super camera.

Unfortunately, after firing the shutter a couple times a problem developed.

The problem is exhibiting the following symptoms:

A) The film advance lever will not turn. It has the same resistance as if the film were already advanced and the shutter was not yet tripped. The shutter release button, however, fails to trip the shutter (it behaves as if the shutter were already tripped)

B) The mirror is stuck. Specifically, it is
approximately halfway between the raised and lowered position. If I gently push down on it, I can lower the mirror to its resting position. When I release my finger, however, the mirror returns to the half-raised position

C) When I switch the shutter speed between 1 sec and Bulb (B) I encounter quite a bit of resistance and it feels as if I'm working against the delay mechanism. In other words, when moving from 1 sec to B I hear the same noise as if the delay lever were moving (i.e. I hear the "hissing" noise)

D) The shutter delay mechanism is very slow. I noticed earlier that it often halted and I had to tilt the camera for the lever to complete its travel

What I suspect MIGHT have happened here is that the shutter did not completely trip. I think the noise I'm hearing when I try to move the shutter speed dial from 1 sec to B is a pretty big clue but I'm not sure how to proceed.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Anirban
Tinkerer
Username: Anirban

Post Number: 19

Posted on Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I am facing the same problem with my old Yashica TL Super -- the mirror is completely up. This one was serviced by none other than Mark Hama less than two years ago, and has had less than 10 rolls through it since then.

Anirban

Anirban
Tinkerer
Username: Anirban

Post Number: 20

Posted on Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guys, Mine seems to be a unique issue: the first shutter curtain has partly come off the roller, and it's getting worse everytime I recock the shutter and trip it.

Any ideas how to remove the shutter assembly? This was a fine camera otherwise.

Anirban

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration