Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon FD Lens 55mm 1:1.2 - Fungus Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2007 » Canon FD Lens 55mm 1:1.2 - Fungus « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Will_inoue
Tinkerer
Username: Will_inoue

Post Number: 8

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi All,

I need to clean out some internal fungus from a Canon FD 55mm 1:1.2 lens. Could someone please tell me if the front deco ring is snapped in place or threaded? This lens is an early chrome nose lens. Thanks. -Will

Turnergande
Tinkerer
Username: Turnergande

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm pretty sure the FL f1.2 is similar to the f1.4 & f1.8. Here's my disassembly notes for Canon 50mm f1.8 FL:

Unscrew inner beauty ring using a pin spanner (or rubber friction tool)

Lift off black aperture index ring

Loosen 3 grub screws from chrome aperture ring and lift off

Spin off lens outer lens cell using pin spanner and remove cell

Front end of aperture blades & 2 inner lens surfaces are now exposed for cleaning if need be

On the lens I worked on there was a small loose screw that was jamming the helicoids. Fortunately I was able to remove it. Upon reassembly the lens now appears to function normally.

Upon reassembly make sure aperture index ring lines up with the lens barrel index mark

Well made mostly metal construction, easy to work on.

If anything here appears to be incorrect, please let us know.

Gary Turner in Bozeman, Montana

Turnergande
Tinkerer

Post Number: 19

Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woops, I see now you have a FD lens. Many of those do in fact snap out and are not screwed in. Rick Oleson's website should have a diagram on a FD f1.4 which may be similar to your f1.2 (?). On my FD lenses I used a tiny dental pick or tiny screwdriver to pull & pop that name ring out.

Turnergande
Tinkerer

Post Number: 20

Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will,

I just looked at some of my FD lenses and from what I could see, the earlier breech mounts have screw off name rings. The subsequent bayonet type mounts (lots of plastic in the mounts) seem to have snap off name rings. Maybe someone in the forum has a chrome front FD lens like yours and can confirm. I don't have any of the less common chrome front lenses. Sorry I could not give a 100% correct answer. I would not try the dental pick or small screwdriver until you know for sure. You don't want to crack or scratch the element. Did you try the rubber stopper? A little naphtha or alcohol on the filter ring threads sometimes loosens a tight ring.

Will_inoue
Tinkerer
Username: Will_inoue

Post Number: 9

Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Gary, Many thanks for the help. You are correct, the lens is a threaded ring. I just got it removed. It was on really TIGHTLY. That was the reason for my original question. I had tried a couple times before to spin this off unsuccessfully and so I was thinking it could be snapped in. BTW.. for anybody else that may need to do this, I used a plumbing part I got from LOWES to remove the ring. It fits perfectly and is called a Flexible Coupling 1-1/2"x1-1/2". It is essentially a rubber sleeve with two screw clamps on the ends (discarded). Since it is hollow, there is plenty of clearance from contacting the front glass. -Will

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration